UKC

Best lens for climbing photos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Keir07 16 Mar 2013
Hi,

I have a nikon D5100 and im looking for a good qulity wide angle zoom that i can take whilst climbing.

Has anyone any opinions on the nikon 16-85mm lens?

thanks.
 David Ponting 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Keir07: I have one and use it a lot (on a D7000, so same sensor) - 16mm is a surprising amount wider than all of the 18-xx kit lenses. It's sharp and contrasty, even wide open at 16mm. It's arguably the best single-lens option for use in the mountains (the better lenses, like the 17-55/2.8, aren't exactly light or small and aren't as wide).

That said, it's a normal zoom, not a wide-angle... it's a good upgrade to your existing normal zoom, assuming that's one of the 18-xx lenses, but if you really want wide-angle you might find yourself wanting a dedicated UWA lens, such as the 10-24 - but then you need a normal and/or tele lens as well.
Keir07 16 Mar 2013
In reply to David Ponting: Thanks, much appreciated.
 radson 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Keir07:

I too am a huge fan of the Nikon 16-85 mm lens. I have used it on mountaineering trips like Denali, Everest, Mt Cook etc.
 Sean Bell 17 Mar 2013
In reply to David Ponting: The 16-55 is classed as a wide angle, as are the 18-xx, equiv of around 25mm/28mm on 35mm format.

Kit lenses from Nikon are surprisingly good when stopped down a few notches so the 18-xx might be a cheaper option.
In reply to Keir07:

A cheaper but excellent option would be the Nikon 18-70 used. Cheap as chips and mine has been in every way brilliant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...