UKC

Lake district scrambling challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bpwallace 16 Mar 2013
I am looking for suggestions for a two day 'expedition' in the lake district with relatively obscure scrambles and a wild camp.

Thanks
In reply to bpwallace: I did a fun round once that went up Intake Ridge (OK, not obscure) then a bit of scrambly stuff on Combe Head (you could easily do one of the other classic Combe Gill scrambles here too), over Glaramara, down to a camp in upper Eskdale. Then up on Ill Crags SE face, which I remember being brilliant and very long (if disjointed). I think we then did Scafell Pike and went back to Borrowdale but you could easily add Broad Stand/Scafell and down Lord's Rake to the corridor route too
 UKC Forums 17 Mar 2013
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK - A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
redsonja 17 Mar 2013
In reply to bpwallace: i remember once doing a scramble onto base brown, above taylor ghyll force. then over green gable and great gable. another scramble on to kirk fell from the north. then over to pillar rock and the old west route, descending the slab and notch. on to pillar mountain. then i think i just walked back from there. i did that in a day, so you could wild camp around styhead tarn and then something on the scafells the next day
In reply to bpwallace:

If obscure is what you're after I was once planning on doing a route that starts at Buttermere, runs up Fleetwith Pike, and then heads almost directly South towards Wasdale passing Great Gable right down to Scafell Pike. It's not an established route as far as I know but that's what interested me. My plans got changed but I still want to go and try it.
 threepeaks 18 Mar 2013
In reply to bpwallace: Many of these scrambles and easy climbs are ones I take clients on, the camp is brilliant. Start: Seathwaithe - Climb Sour Milk Gill then onto Gillercombe Crag and climb NE Butress. Walk over to Haystacks and drop down to Scarth Gap - traverse around into Birkness Combe to climb Harrow Butress, Slabs Ordinary and Oxford and Cambridge Direct, a brilliant combination of routes. Walk back over High Crag and Haystacks to camp or bothy at Warnscale Head. Day 2 - head over to Pillar and climb New West Climb, descend Pillar by reversing Slab and Notch route. Head back over by skirting Kirk Fell and under Gable Crag to Green Gable and climb Gamma, then head back down Gillercombe to Sour Milk Gill and off to Keswick for tea and scones! Enjoy.
bpwallace 21 Mar 2013
In reply to wildspaces:

Thank you
In reply to bpwallace: Get the south lakes scrambing guide (cicerone) - its dead easy to create trips with plenty of scrambling. I found it trickier with the north lakes guide though.

I think most of my multi-day trips have gone through langdale at some point as there is so much to do around there. Makes for a great weekend - bivi bag etc, 25L pack, covering loads of ground and no stopping to go get your gear from the bottom
In reply to bpwallace: Also - the star system in the cicerone guides is pretty good - aiming for the 2 stars gets a good compromise between quality and solitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...