UKC

Old hermitage near Duckstones, Chew valley?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 19 Mar 2013
I was up in the Chew valley the other day and was walkng around the Duckstones. I noticed the remains of an old house against a couple of boulders. One boulder formed the back wall, another formed a side wall and both rock faces had been carved smooth with holes for roof beams and even a gutter. The other 2 sides were made of dressed gritstone blocks. There was a narrow cleft between the boulders acting as some kind og back door/escape route for when salesmen come knocking.

Does anyone know the history of this place? Seems far too elaborate to be some kind of shepherd shelter.
 Tom Valentine 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Red Rover:

Bramley's Cot. Don't know its history though.
 Simon Caldwell 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Red Rover:
I've always assumed (for no particular reason) that it's an old shooting hut.
 newhey 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Red Rover:

There are quite a few around the area. Rimmon cottage on northern edge of Black Hill, another near summit of West Nab. Shame they have crumbled, would have made great bothies.
OP Red Rover 20 Mar 2013
Thanks for the info.

By Rimon cottage do you meen the ruined bothy thats on the northern edge of the clough flowing east from black hill down to digly res? I think its marked wrigglys cabin or something on the 1:25000 OS. And theres the cottage in the gully slightly east of standing stones crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...