UKC

Scottish Midge Season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 20 Mar 2013
I've always planned my climbing trips to Scotland in the Winter months, but this year I'm thinking of doing the West Highland way. When are the best months for avoiding the dreaded midges?

I'm thinking towards the end of the season rather than early.
ccmm 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia: end of midge season varies due to first frosts. I think they get significantly reduced by lack of daylight as well. Plan your trip for the latter half of September and you should be ok.
 AlH 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia: By late September they are dying back a bit here in Lochaber, In October they are often beginning to freeze/drown.
And Smidge is the best midge repellant ever. Except no alternatives. I watched the blighters crawling all over my hands in Glen Nevis last year after a good application of the stuff... and then fly away without biting! They still land and crawl but they don't like the taste. Much more effective than an oily barrier like Skin So Soft and less corrosive and more effective than Deet. Much more effective than any of the natural/herbal repellants I've tried. Goes on like sun tan lotion. Available in Tescos. http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk
 Pero 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia: I imagine the WHW is so boring that the odd midge or two might at least relieve the monotony!
 joan cooper 20 Mar 2013

I agree Smidge is best. Ive recommended it for Skye for a few years now.
In reply to Trangia:
May or October would be the best time to go.
 rubisco 21 Mar 2013
May is by far the best month for non-winter outdoor activities in Scotland. Statistically the driest and sunniest month and (usually) no midges.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...