UKC

NEWS: Hazel Findlay Climbs Chicama - E9 6c

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 21 Mar 2013
Hazel Findlay in Chamonix, France, 3 kbHazel Findlay has climbed her second route of E9 with an ascent of Chicama at Treaddur Bay, near Gogarth.

"The climbing is amazing, it's one of the best routes I've done, it's hugely steep with heel hooks and knee bars and all the moves you might see at a spanish sport crag..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67921

Mutl3y 21 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: Well done Hazel.
In reply to UKC News:

Sheesh; good effort. I love that our top climbers are doing stuff like this.

Report doesn't make it clear whether Caff did it too; perhaps him doing E9 just isn't newsworthy any longer, or did HF manage it first?!

jcm
 Blue Straggler 21 Mar 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
>
> Report doesn't make it clear whether Caff did it too

True

> did HF manage it first?!

From the article: "she was rewarded with the second ascent of a forgotten yet magnificent route" seems to answer that question. Did you not read to the end?
 Jack Geldard 21 Mar 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Hazel climbed the route.

The photos that illustrate the news report are from 2008.

James has not repeated the route.

There may be some images of Hazel on Chicama coming, but that is not yet confirmed.

Thanks,

Jack
 JSA 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
> [...]
>
> True
>
> [...]
>
> From the article: "she was rewarded with the second ascent of a forgotten yet magnificent route" seems to answer that question. Did you not read to the end?

Yes, HF claimed the second ascent, but perhaps you didn't read JCM's comment properly?
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 21 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome, all the recent effort is paying off!
 TobyA 21 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: Do the pegs get taken out after these ascents? Presumably if you just leave them in such a maritime environment sooner or later the placements will just be full of rusted peg stubs?
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
> [...]
>
> True
>
> [...]
>
> From the article: "she was rewarded with the second ascent of a forgotten yet magnificent route" seems to answer that question. Did you not read to the end?

Ah, good point. I'd overlooked the arithmetical clue.

jcm
In reply to JSA:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> [...]
>
> Yes, HF claimed the second ascent, but perhaps you didn't read JCM's comment properly?

Ha! I read it as "first out of her and Caff, IF Caff climbed it" Jack has come to set the record straight.
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor:

Hi Jack. It's all a bit confusing! One picture of Caff has "2008" in the caption, one has "2013". Who are Emma, Neil and Peter? Who was there with Hazel when she succeeded? Where does Caff fit into the whole thing?
 JayK 21 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Can I just say, that looks like an amazing piece of cliff. It's even got me a little psyched to go check it out. I don't usually see Trad run through that kind of terrain. Wicked.

Mega climb, mega second ascent. Well done.
 Wft 21 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News: Well done Hazel, great work by team

>Who are Emma, Neil and Peter?

A wild guess says Alsford and Gresham are the missing parts of the first two. Not so sure about Peter, although is one of HF's Canadian acquaintances perhaps called Peter?

jcm
 AJM 21 Mar 2013

Article has been updated with surnames, but Dyer not Gresham, and Peter Graham I think it was.
 GrahamD 21 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff - especially after recent injuries which might have slowed a few other people down
 Alastair Lee 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor: Didn't Neil take the shots with my stills camera whilst I was filming? Think I used this clip to demo 'Yo Yo' in On Sight...
 goli 21 Mar 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:
>
> Can I just say, that looks like an amazing piece of cliff. It's even got me a little psyched to go check it out. I don't usually see Trad run through that kind of terrain. Wicked.
>

Second that.
 Guy Atkinson 22 Mar 2013
Pete isn't from Canada he's from Cumbria and I gather he's the one who belayed Hazel on the send.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Guy Atkinson:
> ..... on the send.

Presumably that is Cumbrian parlance then?

What does it mean...?
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Guy Atkinson:

I spoke to his dad Rick who told me that Peter is Hazel's personal assistant.

it's Emma Twyford and Neil dyer
 Guy Atkinson 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Neil Foster: It's american isn't it? Just means climbing a route and getting to the top...... who cares
 ferdia 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve Crowe: Wouldn't surprise me. Petey G is renowned for being of exceptional assistance. And for having a slightly incongruous German accent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...