UKC

Tour of Britain Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sleavesley 21 Mar 2013
http://thetour.co.uk/tourofbritain/index.php#.UUtjuhEgGK1

Stage four is looking good for me. Calling past home. So should be able to get to watch it if I time work well!
 Chris the Tall 21 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley:
I see Sheffield and the rest of Yorkshire has been ignored yet again....
OP sleavesley 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: do you think that the tdf has anything to do with that?
In reply to sleavesley:

Hay Tor finish -woohoo!
 Escher 21 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley: Honister pass on the second stage.
 KarlH 21 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

Another finish in Guildford.

We don't have much climbing down here but we have been blessed with cycling!
 steev 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Pretty much the entire of Scotland ignored too.

Bit of a shame given the scenery, but I guess you'd get fewer punters by the road up in Achnasheen.
 Chris the Tall 22 Mar 2013
In reply to steev:
2 stages in Scotland would be overkill, but having a stage finish at Drumlanrig is a great move. I wonder how many people are aware of it's claim to be the birthplace of the bicycle.

The exclusion of Yorkshire does seem a poor decision though. The local authorities could have used it as a test event for the TDF - I seem to remember they've had a few issues about 7 years with the T of B and I don't think it has been back since.

I wonder if the fact that British Cycling had a rival bid for the TDF has anything to do with it ?
 dale1968 22 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley: Haytor; climbing + cycling all in one day, bonus...
In reply to sleavesley:

Edinburgh to Newcastle would always make a great stage -- basically straight down the A68 to Chollerford, then up Brunton Bank in to the Toon from the west before finishing up Dean St and Grey street.

A Newcastle to Kendal stage would also be a 'cracker'. -- Up Weardale and over Killhope Moor ( the highest through road in the UK - it's actually about a metre higher than the Bealach Na Ba in Scotland.)

I remember the great Milk race stages of the 60's over the Northumberland and Durham moors, and the heroic exploits of the likes of the Baty's, Chisman & Bill Bradley.
 Chris the Tall 22 Mar 2013
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to sleavesley)
>
> Hay Tor finish -woohoo!

First summit finish for the modern tour. Always wondered about the lack of a summit finish, given the fact that they tend to determine the outcome of the other tours and people will be used to that.

I know they tend to prefer city centre finish to draw the crowds in, and theres a lack of proper ski resorts in the UK, but I'm sure they could be more imaganitive. Why finish in Llanberis, rather than a the top of Llanberis pass ? Likewise Kendal and Kirkstone ?

Even in cities, I'm sure you could finish up a hill. Plenty in Sheffield with 3 miles of the city centre.

You need quite a bit of infrastructure (read big car parks) at summit finishes to accommodate all the officials, support, press, etc. Then you have to accommodate the crowds.

ALC
 Aly 22 Mar 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: You could have a cracker of a stage starting from Perth/Dundee/Forfar/Pitlochry going over Glenshee, The Lecht and then finishing at Cairngorm where they'd have the parking and infrastructure required.

It's going to be crazy up there. It was mad 2 years ago and the Dartmoor climbs last year had the feel of the tour de France mountain stage I saw in the Pyrenees. I reckon people will camp up there the night before. Already planning our clubs ride out to do the climb on the day
 Baron Weasel 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: Radio said the Kendal finish will be at the top of Beast Banks, which is a short, but very steep hill.

BW
In reply to Aly:

Cairngorm and Glenshee were the two locations that came to mind when writing the previous post.

Beast Banks - F*** me! Wouldn't like to be heading up that at the end of a stage.

ALC
 Baron Weasel 22 Mar 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Be better than Kirkstone as previously suggested after 140 miles though!

BW
 plyometrics 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Baron Weasel:

In reply to Baron Weasel:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) Radio said the Kendal finish will be at the top of Beast Banks, which is a short, but very steep hill.
>
> BW

Convenient for popping straight into the riflemans for a post 225km pint.

Just hope they bother opening!

Cant wait.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...