UKC

Bike Box or Bag for occasional air travel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bike Box or Bag for occasional air travel - any recommendations?

Probably use once or twice a year though thinking it may also be good winter storage for my carbon road bike.

Don't really want to spend more than a couple of hundred quid.

Cheers.

sarahjk 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

Where are you ? I have a Thule hardshell case that I hardly ever use [read never now I am back in UK]. Would happily sell it, I know the new equivalent is about £300, would be happy with £50. I am in Lancashire, but heading to Peak and Cumbria over Easter hols if that helps.

Sarah
 aquazepp 22 Mar 2013
I've got a bike box but find that I end up having to use a bag when flying with budget airlines like Sleazyjet as the box & bike exceed their weight allowance.
The box however is fine on schedule flights or when going to places with holiday company flights. In fact Thompson have insisted on a box not a bag for our flights for Ironman Lanzarote this year.
The sciron? box easily provides better protection than any bag.
 LastBoyScout 22 Mar 2013

I've got a Chain Reaction Cycles bike bag in their sale a while ago, including wheel bags, for £50.

I was actually only after a pair of wheel bags, bud decided that as they were going to cost £35, I might as well spend another £15 and get the set.

I used it to take the bike to last year's Etape in a van and that was fine.

I borrowed a friends to take my bike to Germany before I got that one and that was fine, but, in hindsight, I'd say take the rear deraileur off, as mine got slightly bent.

One of the cycling websites has a "how to" of packing your bike in such a thing - including letting air out of suspension.
 Enty 22 Mar 2013
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Those EVOC bags in that advert are the mutts nuts!!

I just got back from Mallorca yesterday - I used my lightweight bag but had half a cardboard bike box inside. I only fly with my bike once a year so the lightweight one does the trick.

E
 climbingpixie 22 Mar 2013
In reply to sarahkeast:

I might be interested in that, if the OP doesn't want it and the offer's open to anyone else...
geologist 22 Mar 2013
In reply to sarahkeast:

Hi sarah, i could be interested in this, i could be in the peaks over easter too. Do you have any pics. Cheers.
 andy 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout)
>
> Those EVOC bags in that advert are the mutts nuts!!
>
> I just got back from Mallorca yesterday - I used my lightweight bag but had half a cardboard bike box inside. I only fly with my bike once a year so the lightweight one does the trick.
>
> E

Me and my brother both got Evoc bags last year - Jet 2 have a 20kg weight limit on bikes (Easyjet have no limit) and stuff like BikeBox Alan weigh 14kg on their own. The Evoc ones are great - pedals off, bars off and that's it (although we both take the rear mech off and tape it between the chainstays). I think they're a bit more than £200 but you might find them in a sale. I think mine was £230.
 aquazepp 22 Mar 2013
In reply to andy:
Things have changed a bit with Easyjet...From their website....

"Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter. For example:

One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!"

Which doesn't leave much to play with for other kit if box & bike come in at 21kg

woppo 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: took bikes to ariege in sept with easyjet, seem to remember sports weight limit didn't apply to bikes - prepared to be corrected if my memory going!
 aquazepp 23 Mar 2013
In reply to woppo:
I'll find out on Weds
I used to load bike box up to 32kg (triathlon kit as well) & then stick more in a hold luggage bag.
The box rarely got weighed....

I've always used the cardboard boxes that bikes get delivered to shops in. Use pipe lagging to protect tubing. You'll also need some spacers to go between the dropouts.

While they don't look particularly flashy, I've found that you get through check-in with a lot less hassle and often without paying the "sports equipment" supplement.

ALC
Talius Brute 23 Mar 2013

A clear bag is meant to be best - if the handlers can see it's a bike and see each part of it they take more care of it.
 andy 23 Mar 2013
In reply to aquazepp:
> (In reply to andy)
> Things have changed a bit with Easyjet...From their website....
>
> "Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter. For example:
>
> One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!"
>
> Which doesn't leave much to play with for other kit if box & bike come in at 21kg

Ah, but you've got to keep clicking:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4040

Bicycles are permitted for carriage provided that specific criteria is met:

• The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
• Only one bicycle per box/bag is permitted
• The handlebars must be flush with the frame
• Pedals must be removed or flush against the flame

Bicycles with hydraulic suspensions or brake systems will be accepted.

A non-refundable sports equipment fee will be charged. The bicycles are exempt from additional excess baggage charges.

If in doubt, print it out!
In reply to andy: I've got one of these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18012

Its a hard case that doesn't weigh much (about 7kg) and is alot less expensive than the plastic hardcases.
 andy 23 Mar 2013
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut: Yes, I spotted those when i was getting my Evoc - my only issue is storage for me - Evoc bag rolls up smaller. Suspect the Polaris gives better protection though.
 aquazepp 23 Mar 2013
In reply to andy:
Thanks Andy.... I'm printing that now!
In reply to aquazepp:

Thanks All. Went for a Merida bag at £129 as I will likely only use once a year.

Sarah: Ta for offer. Others can take you up on it. I would have went for it but in Glasgow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...