UKC

Harpur Hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 22 Mar 2013
Read on link to BMC RAD that HH is on private land and there is no access agreement. This info is dated 04/09/12. Can anyone shed any light on if this is still the case?
In reply to jules699:
> Read on link to BMC RAD that HH is on private land and there is no access agreement. This info is dated 04/09/12. Can anyone shed any light on if this is still the case?

Almost certainly, since, as far as I am aware, the access situation there hasn't changed for at least the last 26 years!
OP jules699 22 Mar 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Ah ok. Have a vague recollection from many many moons ago of access issues but couldnt remember specifics. Ah well...horseshoe it'll have to be then....
 Jonny2vests 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699:

If I remember rightly, most past issues, were based around parking, people got clamped. Not sure if anyone's ever been stopped whilst climbing there.
 iwhawley 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699: I have never been stopped from climbing there. I think its a case of.. if someones asks you to leave then you leave. I have climbed there many times and never been asked to leave or even seen anyone there apart from other climbers and walkers.
OP jules699 22 Mar 2013
In reply to iwhawley: Ok. How does it compare with horseshoe? I've climbed at horseshoe a few times and done just bout all the sub 6a's. oGing with cupla mates who are 4-6a range. I havent done outdoor sport in ages mind.
In reply to jules699: I think you might have mis-understood the situation. The point I was making is that people have been climbing regularly at Harpur Hill for three decades despite there never having been any access agreement during that entire time.

The information on the RAD is pretty much identical to the wording in all previous guidebooks. As with numerous other crags in a similar position, by all means climb there but if asked to leave then you should do so expediently and without complaining or making any fuss.
OP jules699 22 Mar 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: ok. overall is it better or worse or same as horseshoe?
 Jon Stewart 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer) ok. overall is it better or worse or same as horseshoe?

I aren't sayin' a word.
OP jules699 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: why not jonny boy?
 Bulls Crack 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer) ok. overall is it better or worse or same as horseshoe?

Imagine Horseshoe without a Main Wall.
OP jules699 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: Hmmm okay. Ta!
 jimjimjim 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699:

Worse imho...and looser. It's had a few rock falls recently. Be careful as always.
 Graeme Hammond 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699:

the main issue is where you park it seems, and the access situation is totally different to horseshoe quarry which is mostly owned by the BMC.

Harpur hill climbing i'd say is worth a trip or 2 maybe if you liked horseshoe and are local, personally not climbed much but between the choss there are a few well worth climbs around Coral Seas, including a couple of good trad lines so don't leave the trad gear behind.

Harpur Hill is prone to freezing winds even in the middle of summer and will more than likely be caked in snow if you were thinking of climbing tomorrow.
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
I drive from London to Harpur Hill quite a lot. We like it, however, parking appears to be the issue right now. Not sure what to do about arking next time we go .....
 ripper 23 Mar 2013
In reply to I like climbing: amazing - one man's bacon and all that. I don't think I'd drive to Harpur very often if I lived in Buxton, never mind London.
 Graeme Hammond 23 Mar 2013
In reply to I like climbing:

parking: Do as I did last time i went and find a quite side street in the village where your not going to annoy anyone e.g. not blocking drive ways (and its legal) and its still only a 10 minute walk in and no parking tickets or wheel clappers!

glad you enjoy it, and hope you continue to do so.
 Chris the Tall 23 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699:
I believe people have occasionally been asked to leave, but that has more to do with people swimming in the pools and the risk of acid burns as a result.
 redcal 23 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699: from London to Harpur...I hope you sampled other Peak sport crags on your visits...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to jules699)
> I believe people have occasionally been asked to leave, but that has more to do with people swimming in the pools and the risk of acid burns as a result.

Alkali burns? (Sorry)

Chris
 Bulls Crack 23 Mar 2013
In reply to I like climbing:
> (In reply to Graeme Hammond)
> I drive from London to Harpur Hill quite a lot. We like it, however, parking appears to be the issue right now. Not sure what to do about arking next time we go .....

You must REALLY like climbing!
 iwhawley 23 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699: Harpur Hill is fine. Just make sure you wear a helmet. The sanctuary has always been fine, the first part of the lower wall up to 'sing for your dinner' and the section of cairn has always been good. Just avoid the section where they all have japanese names that looks fairly loose.
 iwhawley 23 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699: As for parking, I always park in the village near the church then walk in from there. Never had any trouble to be honest. That sounds very lazy as I drive from Buxton not london....
OP jules699 23 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699: Thanks to everyone for their comments.
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
Thanks for the advice - we'll do that next time.
In reply to Bulls Crack and Ripper

Fair comment !
You want to see some of the other places we like...Ever been to Tintern Quarry ? We love it even though it's a bit loose......!
 ripper 24 Mar 2013
In reply to I like climbing: Yep I was at Tintern last Sunday!
In reply to ripper:
Good effort ! Especially in this weather !
 ripper 24 Mar 2013
In reply to I like climbing: It was actually quite pleasant and even got some sunshine on the (aptly named) sunnyside wall - in contrast to the previous day when I experiences a surprise attack of hotaches after seconding a wet and very cold Questor on Wynd Cliff...
 Robh101 26 Mar 2013
In reply to jules699: Climbed both at horseshoe and Harpur Hill, both pretty similar id say, quarried limestone is never going to hold the same sway as natural. Well bolted and easily accessible mind you. Id say the area down to the left of the main section is the best for easier stuff, round Christian Salvage Man etc.

As for access, Ive always parked at the Cafe and never had any bother with anyone asking me to leave, the old warden from the depot does wander up and say hello sometimes, but never been asked to move on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...