UKC

Guitar Zero: learning guitar with little natural aptitude!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeTS 23 Mar 2013
Have you read it? I admit that it's made me interested in taking up the guitar again, even though I demonstrated no talent last time - many years ago!

Are there success stories out there?
 Bulls Crack 24 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS:

In my youth I kept picking up the guitar and putting it down again when couldn't get a tune out of it - like I could with a piano - but then, one day, I got a chord chart, a songbook of songs I liked and stuck at it.

Now I am an internationally recognised guitar maestro with a full recitals schedule.
 Tom Last 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to MikeTS)
>
> I got a chord chart, a songbook of songs I liked and stuck at it.
>

There's a lot in that. Don't bother trying to play anything that you don't like, you'll soon get bored.

Learn in the open position: A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F (small barre) & G.
Then learn how to change from each of those chords to the others. Once you've got that mastered, you'll have access to literally tens of thousands of songs.

Start on your barre chords early too (B & Bm are good first ones and useful!), there's no mystery to them, they're just awkward and uncomfortable at first.

Just keep learning chords as you go, keep playing stuff you like don't be afraid to experiment. Learn to hammer on/hammer off, easy arpeggios etc. You shouldn't get bored, but you will get better.

Google for tabs.

Good luck!
 Tom Last 24 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS:

Also if you like to sing while you play, buy a capo for a couple of quid.
 The Pylon King 24 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS:

Dont start on an acoustic - buy an electric guitar and amp and just play along to records.

Removed User 24 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS: Just concentrate on learning the intros to Stairway to Heaven and Come as you are. That's all you'll ever need...
OP MikeTS 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Now I am an internationally recognised guitar maestro with a full recitals schedule.

And I am the Queen Mother!
OP MikeTS 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man:

Thanks. I like Blues,so that's a clear chord sequence that's easy to start I think. And I'll stick to the key of E for the moment. I understand that the guitar open tuning is E in the pentatonic scale already.

A friend recommended software that slows down music on your computer: have you tried this?
 Oujmik 25 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS: Have a look at Ultimate-Guitar.com and find a song which is in Tab Pro such as this:

http://tp.ultimate-guitar.com/g/guns_n_roses/sweet_child_o_mine_tab_online....

I learnt (slowly) form guitar magazines that have a CD to play along with, but this seems much better, You have to pay for the full Tab Pro feature, but could be worth considering if you want to learn stuff quickly.
 deacondeacon 25 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS:
Seriously this site is heaven sent for the new guitarist http://www.justinguitar.com/

Teaches you everything you need to know in easy to follow lessons and has a really helpful community. The main thing is it teaches you to play guitar rather than just a few songs. It also has great songs rather than nursery rhymes and boring stuff.
I followed the course and after about 12 months I'm certainly no maestro but would say I'm well beyond a beginner.

Reading back it sounds like an advert but seriously you can't go wrong. I stopped my private lessons as I was learning much more through the site, and it's FREE.
OP MikeTS 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Oujmik:

Thanks
OP MikeTS 25 Mar 2013
In reply to deacondeacon:
Thanks
 Morgan Woods 25 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
>
> Thanks. I like Blues,so that's a clear chord sequence that's easy to start I think. And I'll stick to the key of E for the moment. I understand that the guitar open tuning is E in the pentatonic scale already.
>
> A friend recommended software that slows down music on your computer: have you tried this?

- i'm not sure you have it right exactly....you can play any scale in the open position it's just a question of where you start....so i would play C major starting at the third fret on the 5th string or 6th string open (ie E)....but yes, E pentatonic is a good one to start with.

- i use tempo slow on the iphone which is free and can access any tune in your collection....im sure there are other versions available for other platforms.
 ChrisRGX 25 Mar 2013
+1 for http://www.justinguitar.com/.

It's a great resource which is laid out in a logical way. I go back to it time and time again.
 ChrisRGX 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:
Good shout on Tempo SlowMo

For the PC I use Transcribe! which is free to try and then $39. It's a great tool for slowing down tracks to either work out the guitar lines or to play along to.

I also use http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ as a resource for backing tracks to play along to song. Basically they are full songs minus the guitar. Some even have the vocal lines still in place. You can also download the tracks as MP3 so this combined with Transcribe! is the perfect practice tool for me.
 Tall Clare 25 Mar 2013

I meant to say thanks for this link a while back - Mr TC is finding it very useful!
 Morgan Woods 25 Mar 2013
In reply to ChrisRGX:

ta for the link.....playing along to backing tracks might be a good next step.
OP MikeTS 26 Mar 2013
In reply to ChrisRGX:

Backing track site is great, thanks. They have generic jam tracks which look good for me. And it's free !
 Siward 26 Mar 2013
In reply to MikeTS:

1) have a riff/song in your head that you'd quite like to master
2) type into you tube "[name of song] guitar lesson"
3) there's a very good chance a result will pop up with some dude taking you step by step through the song

A great resource
 Alex Slipchuk 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> There's a lot in that. Don't bother trying to play anything that you don't like, you'll soon get bored.

>
> Just keep learning chords as you go, keep playing stuff you like don't be afraid to experiment. Learn to hammer on/hammer off, easy arpeggios etc. You shouldn't get bored, but you will get better.

Listen to this dude
>
> Google for tabs.
>
> Good luck!

In reply to MikeTS:

once you've got the hang of stuff a bit have a look at downloading powertab, it gives you sheet music and tab together and has a play feature so you can listen as you play along. you can find powertabs on ultimate-guitar.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...