UKC

Insurance required for Scottish winter trip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GregoryS 23 Mar 2013
Hi, my first post on here so please be gentle

I have a question which I'm sure many on here will know the answer to... I'm likely to be heading up to Scotland over the Easter weekend for some winter mountaineering... I've previously completed the PYB winter mountaineering course, and will be with more experienced people than myself on this trip... but should something happen whereby I needed the help of mountain rescue, for example, would I be liable for costs, and therefore do I need insurance to cover such an eventuality? Of course, I'm not planning on such an outcome, but just in case.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.
 DaveHK 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GregoryS:

No insurance needed for Scotland but from 2014 who knows?
 Howard J 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GregoryS: Mountain rescue in the UK is free, although a donation is welcome as the teams are volunteers. Overseas it is a different matter, but until Alex Salmond gets his referendum you should be OK in Scotland.

GregoryS 23 Mar 2013
Thanks for the info guys, duly noted.
 Nick_Scots 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Howard J:
> (In reply to GregoryS) Mountain rescue in the UK is free, although a donation is welcome as the teams are volunteers. Overseas it is a different matter, but until Alex Salmond gets his referendum you should be OK in Scotland.

Alex got his referendum. Quite a while back.

The vote will be NO.
 Roberttaylor 23 Mar 2013
In reply to GregoryS: Not sure why Scotland going independent would affect paying for mountain rescue. Baffles me that there are plans already afoot to privatise mountain rescue when (a) we are obliged to provide it under GMDSS anyway and (b)it gives military pilots valuable real world practice. It seems a case of why fix something that is clearly not broken.

As those above have said, you won't be liable for costs I imagine they will appreciate any donations, have a good trip and stay safe.
 Jim Fraser 24 Mar 2013
In reply to GregoryS:

Charges for MR for most territories across the world are a myth created by skiers who have been rescued within the bounds of commercial resort areas. Obviously there are huge variations around the world especially where the cost of rich people falling over far exceeds the ability of a poor country to pick up the tab.

Across northern Europe, people cannot afford to have anything other than free rescue at the point of use except in a tiny number of restricted commercial situations. Ambulance re-embursement is another issued entirely and is caused by the presence of an insurance market and not the other way round.

I am fed up of insurance salesmen coming on here trying to create a market.
 OMR 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Howard J: Cut the crap. Whether you agree with independence or not, the last few years have shown Scotland as having a much better record of prioritising social care than England. Cameron/Clegg is a much bigger threat to free MR provision than Salmond ever would be - added to which, there is nothing to say Salmond (or the SNP party as currently exists) would be in power after independence - plans are for the place to remain a democracy the last I heard.
Delco 24 Mar 2013
In reply to GregoryS: Hi although you don't need any type of climbing/outdoor insurance I would recommend that yourself and those in your group register your phones with 112. If you are not sure how to do it look it up om you tube.
 Pero 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr:
> (In reply to Howard J)
> [...]
>
> Alex got his referendum. Quite a while back.
>
> The vote will be NO.

Is that a prediction or a commandment?

I can't see the issue with asking people the question. Or, are referendums only allowed on issues that you, personally, approve of?

I wholeheartedly support the referendum, even though, were I still living in Scotland, I would probably vote no. Other members of my family, however, will be voting "yes".

But, the more I'm told I've no right to have a choice; whether it's David Cameron or Scott vzr who thinks I have no right even to have a say, the more I'd be tempted to vote "yes" - just to prove that you have no right to tell me how I should think and feel about my own country.
ccmm 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Pero:

Aye, the 'bitter together' moaners have invaded the winter climbing forum. still 18 months to go troops.
 Howard J 24 Mar 2013
In reply to OMR:
> (In reply to Howard J) Cut the crap.

Calm down dear, it should be obvious it was a tongue in cheek comment. I can't imagine anyone seriously thinks the position will change should Scotland become independent.

OMR 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Howard J: Okay, I've upped my tranquiliser dosage.
 Cuthbert 24 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Dont be so silly Dave! Last time I looked it was the UK privatising the SAR choppers and Scottish Government supporting the MRTs.
 Roberttaylor 24 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveHK: What a thread haha
 Nic DW 24 Mar 2013
In reply to GregoryS:

Your first post eh? Well i think it sets the seen quite well:

1. Post a question
2. Receive a helpful answer
3. Watch the post get twisted into some completely off topic argument

There you have it mate. UKC in a nutshel!

Enjoy your trip. Things are freezing up nicely, hopefully the wind will have dropped by then!
GregoryS 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Nic DW: Hehe, compared to some other forums, I think I got off lightly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...