UKC

vertical limit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dickie01 24 Mar 2013
On TV last night, I was going to pose the question is it based on truth for a laugh but decided to ask for people's favourite quotes
Mine
"She's French Canadian, some days she's Canadian she can be quite pleasant...today she's obviously French"
 DaveHK 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:
> On TV last night, I was going to pose the question is it based on truth for a laugh

No idea about VL but Cliffhanger was based on a true story.
In reply to DaveHK: Yes, Cliffhanger was based on an incident which occurred in Snowdonia in the 70's. Tom Cruise bought the TV rights but sold them on because he didn't think the technology existed to do it justice. It was eventually made with a slight American slant.
OP dickie01 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Matt Bill Platypus:
Wasn't the film K2 also based on a truth life event in the black mountains when a team of Belgian mountaineer became the first from Guernsey to summit Pen y Fann?
Removed User 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01: furthermore, The Eiger Sanction was based on an incident involving mountaineers from London and partially frozen turf on Back Tor someone in the 50s
 freerangecat 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:

It's on 5* in about half an hour, for anyone who missed it last night. A good afternoon for curling up with a cup of tea and a bad film
 DaveHK 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:

Everyone else is joking but I'm serious about Cliffhanger.
 Brass Nipples 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:

Touching the void is based on an incident on Scafell in the Lakes in the mid 80's. Joe is too embarrassed to admit he made the bit up about Peru...
 JohnnyW 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:
Watched it the other night with Our Lass, due to a dose-of-cold-induced incarceration.

Complete and utter pish, and seems to get worse each time I watch it.

I know, I know.........
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to dickie01)
>
> Everyone else is joking but I'm serious about Cliffhanger.

Cliffhanger is a 1993 American action-adventure thriller directed by Renny Harlin and starring Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow. Stallone plays a mountain climber who becomes embroiled in a failed heist set in a U.S. Treasury plane flying through the Rocky Mountains. The film was a critical and box office success, earning more than $250 million worldwide.

Really?
 Rich Mayfield 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:

Oye Mr 2vests, is it very loosely based on a true story but the plane in question was full of dope not cash, everyone on board died during the crash. The climbers found it and rescued the cargo. Don't think it was worth $250 million thro!
OP dickie01 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:
"Amateurs 12 o clock" ...would 1 cam have held?
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Rich Mayfield:

I think you should edit the Wikipedia page rich.
 Jonny2vests 24 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:
> (In reply to dickie01)
> "Amateurs 12 o clock" ...would 1 cam have held?

Whatever it did, it wouldn't change it's mind. (Even if it was a HB Quadcam)
 Rich Mayfield 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
I'm on it!
 Flinticus 27 Mar 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
Yeah. Recorded it & watched some of it last night. My wife walked in when Montgomery Wick was kising the frozen corpse of his dead wife...

I do watch some pants.
Jim C 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to JohnnyW)
> Yeah. Recorded it & watched some of it last night. My wife walked in when Montgomery Wick was kising the frozen corpse of his dead wife...
>
> I do watch some pants.

Pedant point of order.

Yer canna kiss the frozen corpse of his 'live' wife, so there is a duplication of meaning there that is not required.

The fact that she is a 'corpse' is sufficient to make the point. It is not required to also say that the said corpse s 'dead'

(and there is two s's in kissing

(I feel better now, and when I do that at home I get stuff thrown at me)

JohnnyW 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to Flinticus)
> [...]
>
> Pedant point of order.
>
> Yer canna kiss the frozen corpse of his 'live' wife, so there is a duplication of meaning there that is not required.
>
> The fact that she is a 'corpse' is sufficient to make the point. It is not required to also say that the said corpse s 'dead'
>
> (and there is two s's in kissing
>
> (I feel better now, and when I do that at home I get stuff thrown at me)

That is impressive pedantry. Nice one!
 John Ww 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to Flinticus)

Pedant point of order.

You may wish to reconsider your use of the apostrophe in the above...

MelH 27 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:

Re Vertical Limit - I shall quote myself from a similar thread, at a similar time of year in 2011:

"Love it/ hate it. The cinematography etc is outstanding/ Chris O'donnell is hot/ the storyline and some of the scenes are sooooo bad they're good/ funny."

I still stand by this. It's just entertainment! :-D
 graeme jackson 27 Mar 2013
In reply to MelH:
> (In reply to dickie01)
>
> "Love it/ hate it. The cinematography etc is outstanding/ Isabella Scorupco is hot/ the storyline and some of the scenes are sooooo bad they're good/ funny."
>

fixed that for you
 Flinticus 27 Mar 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
Your first sentence, 'Yer...', was sufficient to make your point. The second was not required.
aultguish 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Jim C:
Then how do you explain my ex wife? Still alive today and was certainly a corpse when we were together :-/
mgco3 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Jim C: pedant correction. You go and kiss my ex wife and then tell me that its NOT like kissing a frozen corpse
 bouldery bits 27 Mar 2013
In reply to dickie01:

Up there you're not dying - you're dead.

Ridiculous.
 Edradour 27 Mar 2013
In reply to John Ww:

> Pedant point of order.

> You may wish to reconsider your use of the apostrophe in the above...

And the use of the singular form...
 John Ww 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Edradour:
> (In reply to John W)

> And the use of the singular form...

Always leave an opportunity for the next contestant...

In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
> [...]
>
> Cliffhanger is a 1993 American action-adventure thriller directed by Renny Harlin and starring Sylvester Stallone and John Lithgow. Stallone plays a mountain climber who becomes embroiled in a failed heist set in a U.S. Treasury plane flying through the Rocky Mountains. The film was a critical and box office success, earning more than $250 million worldwide.
>
> Really?

The original script that morphed (quite radically) into Cliffhanger was written by John Long, based on an incident in the 70's in Yosemite. A small plane went down during the winter, and the park service employed some climbers to organise a rescue. The pilot was dead, but the plane was stacked full of Mexican weed. Being winter law enforcement couldn't get up there for months, leaving ample opportunity for the dirtbags to fund their next few seasons.

John Long wasn't directly involved in the final script.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...