UKC

Down or primaloft

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 24 Mar 2013
I'm after a gillet as an extra layer for Scotland and when the summer (if it comes) evenings cool down.

Since it would normally be under my hardshell is down okay or should it be primaloft like a belay jacket?

Can anyone recommend a primaloft one if that is what is required, brightly coloured if at all possible.
 Mountain Llama 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: if u can keep it dry then downs an option. For the UK I Wud go for primaloft as it keeps the majority of insulation when wet plus its easier to care for. Paramo do the excellent torres but not in trendy colours.
In reply to fire_munki:
Are you talking for active use? If you can keep down dry, then it's nice. However, in Scotland for all round use, it has to be primaloft or equivalent IMO. Down is too risky and impractical, but I am biased as I've got wet so many times! Rab generator vest is my favourite primaloft, and Paramo Torres one for equivalent. Both in black I'm afraid !
 Nick_Scots 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: I have one of these, got it for £14.99 a few months back. Mainly for snowboarding and wearing under a softshell hoodie jacket but it is a gillet with thin lycra arms, so lots of freedom of movement for getting up snowboarding.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mideet-id_8160950.html
OP fire_munki 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:
Yep for active use, extra warmth on cold Scotish days.
 SFM 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

If wearing under a hardshell then I say that primaloft/synthetic would be better. Couple of reasons-
The synthetic is lower bulk and feels less cumbersome. The hardshell may also compress the down more reducing it's effectiveness.
Synthetic copes far better with the inevitable moisture generated.

I can only recommend the Haglofs Barrier vest as it's the only one I have. I had a PHD down vest and ended up selling it for all the above reasons.
In reply to fire_munki:
> (In reply to fire_munki)
> Yep for active use, extra warmth on cold Scotish days.
Then personally I would go for synthetic, and decide what suits according to what you want by way of technical aspects of say weight ie warmth, fit, zipped pockets, hem adjustment, two way zips, etc. My two favourites are very different but are used for different things due to their different specifications.
In reply to fire_munki:
Think its going to be a nano puff vest, looks like it fits the bill and packs down small.
 CMcBain 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

I wasn't too impressed by the fit of the nano puff vest/pullover, very short and 'boxy'. Definitely worth trying on before ordering over the net, the haglofs and arcteryx equivalents might be worth a look as they have a similar price and perhaps a better fit.
In reply to CMcBain:
If I could easily try it on before hand I would, going to have to risk it.
Before I place an order does anyone know if the material is hard enough to withstand having pack straps and the like on it? The Rab equivalent has been discounted because of this (going by the Needlesports description that is).
 Bimble 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

I've been wearing the Rab Generator regularly with a pack on for nearly 2yrs now and it's holding up fine.
andymac 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

Primaloft is brilliant.
I climbed a freezing Scottish mountain today ,in serious wind chill ,and all I had on, as usual, was a Montane Prism jacket with an old football top underneath.
Hugely impressed with the jacket.and it was only £90

andymac 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

oh and for a gilet;

going by the Marmot Baffin jacket I have ,the vest version should be more than adequate.
 Slarti B 24 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

> Before I place an order does anyone know if the material is hard enough to withstand having pack straps and the like on it?

I have nano-puff vest (think that is what you are commenting on here)and it is great under a hardsoft shell. Warm, light and compacts well. Wore it on 2 ice climbing trips this year and it worked well.
I haven't had pack straps etc directly on it (ie without a shell on top) and if that is how you want to use it the material might suffer. But I dont think that is what it is designed for.
OP fire_munki 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Slarti B:
I wouldn't wear it directly on the pack much but more on multi pitches where the 2nd has the bag type scenario. Think I'll try.
 iksander 25 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: I found the ran generator rode up, patagonia micro puff didn't. Don't know how the nano fits, horses for courses
 gear boy 25 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: neither insulator moves moisture very well, but primaloft will handle it better

as said patagonia nano puff and rab generator vest, but also look at montane prism vest, tnf redpoint vest, marmot variant vest as other options

or if you want something that manages moisture better then you could look at fleece, maybe a powerstretch vest?
 pork pie girl 26 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: i use a ME long sleeved primoloft for multi pictch winter routes .. that i just whack over everything else i'm wearing when i belay and a down jacket (rab) for belaying at single pitch venues. found it hard to find a jacket that does both

i often use a down gillet whilst rock climbing durimg the winter... brilliant piece of kit and really get my money's worth from it

ME do bright colours.. mine's bright blue with orange zips and inside..

my other half uses a haglofs down gillet because she likes the colour.. (women) it's bright lime green
 pork pie girl 26 Mar 2013
In reply to fire_munki: PS used to use a down jacket on winter routes but got benighted once and the down jacket was as much use as a wet tissue due tomthe condesation from sitting in a bothy bag for hours on end.. the primoloft isn't as warm but maintains it's form and warm when it gets wet.

my partner uses a rab extreme.. that performed well when we were benighted... has a more durable pertex and reinforced elbows ans shoulders but is hude even when stuffed ina compression sack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...