UKC

X100s - is anyone buying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
improveonsilence 24 Mar 2013
I held one in a shop. I fell in love. Have concerns about it still, but I've never loved anything more.
 ChrisJD 24 Mar 2013
In reply to improveonsilence:

One of the guys at work has a X100 and XPro-1.

He has now sold all his Canon kit (and he had a 1DsII and L lenses)....

He totally rates them and is doing some pro-level strobist work with them.
 mcdweeb 24 Mar 2013
In reply to improveonsilence: I have an x10 which I love. It does have a wonderful feel and heft to it that I don't think will date.
I never really liked the modern digital camera compared to my old OM1 and this goes a small (actually only a tiny) way back to this era of durable mechanical cameras. It just feels right.
I bought it for £400 and it can be bought for a whole lot less now inevitably.
improveonsilence 25 Mar 2013
Thanks dudes. I still like the OMD-E5, cos its so quick to AF and in-body stabilsation is handy. But the fuji makes you fall in love quick.
 The Lemming 26 Mar 2013

I had no idea what this camera was until I read this review. Sorely tempted.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/05/03/the-fuji-x100-digital-camera-real-...
 mr rob 26 Mar 2013

I have an X100 and its great

Why do you want the S over the regular? Could have some cash and still get a very good camera
 Andy S 26 Mar 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Impressive. I don't follow the compact market. Does anyone know if there's a compact like this with a zoom lens? i.e. aps-c sized sensor, non-removable zoom lens, good quality?
In reply to Andy S:

The nearest is the Canon G1X. Which is nearly what we all want. Actually in mountaineering terms it looks like the full deal. AF might be a bit slow for biking though
 ChrisJD 29 Mar 2013

This is a cool review of the X100s

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-review-a-cam...

(no doubt someone on UKC will disagree !)
 kylo-342 29 Mar 2013

X-E1 is good too
 jamestheyip 30 Mar 2013
In reply to kylo-342: I
I have recently bought the XE-1 with 18-55 kit lens and have been very happy with it. The control dials are very well layout. There are 7 quick access costumed settings with all the colour style, sharpness and tonal preferences stored. The jpeg colour already look nice I don't find the need to shoot RAW. I can just choose the film style and pretend it's a film camera. The high ISO is about a stop better than my D7000 and the noise looks smoother. I found ISO 6400 still looks pleasant in B&W. The fuji colour is more subtle which I like. The highlights are less blown out and the skin tone more natural.

I went for the XE-1 over the X100 because I can then use my Nikon lenses on it with an adopter. Manual focus is pretty quick with an instant 'enlarge centre' button. At least much quicker than on my D7000.

The build of the XE-1 is a lot more plasticky comparing to the X-pro but this doesn't bother me in use. I realise it's not weather sealed and have been reluctant to take it out in the rain.
 kylo-342 30 Mar 2013
In reply to jamestheyip:

I'm very pleased with my X-E1 with 18-55 lens (the only lens I have)

Have found shooting in RAW gives amazing results with Capture 1 Pro....although the jpegs are good.

which film simulation do you use?

jamestheyip 30 Mar 2013
In reply to kylo-342:
In colour mostly Astia with tuned down contrast. In B&W with no filter and boosted contrast and high ISO for the grains. The standard Provia colour is pretty good too, andI love the square format. Have not played with RAW yet. I often use RAW to bring out shadow details or correct exposure/white balance. So far the JPEGs are already good enough with quick access to the effect I want.

I have an X100. I won't be selling it, ever.

Would never have paid its release price, though.

ChrisJD 16 Apr 2013

I bought a X-E1 & 18-55mm yesterday (in preference to an X100s).

It is a thing of beauty and already a joy to use. I even read the manual, lol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...