UKC

Snowdonia Routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 25 Mar 2013
Hi Guys,

Looking at making the most of the improving conditions in Snowdonia; looking for some suggestions for routes in the II/III range: my partner is of very limited winter experience so really no more than II/III.

I'm assuming gullies are out due to the big dump of snow, so that leaves easy Ice or Ridges. Just looking for something friendly that can make up a decent day.

What are the road conditions like?

Thanks for any advice.
C
 ianstevens 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Chay: Bristly Ridge, Idwal Stream, The Ramp. I'm sure there are many more (I think Crib Goch might get a low winter grade too). No idea if any of them are in condition though, just ideas of routes. I'm aware that this is quite unhelpful, sorry!
OP Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to ianstevens: No problem Ian; I wasn't very clear, I have an idea of the routes out there, more interested in Ideas of routes that will be friendly and IIish in their current condition.

Bristly/crib goch could be an option, supposed to be windy mind.

Cheers,
C
 Dave P 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Chay:

Road through Ogwen was ok this morning, some slight drifting onto the road but mostly ok. Winds look set to ease over next couple of days but you'll probably be doing some wading to get to any routes unless they start close to the road!
OP Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave P: Something like Tryfan N.Ridge might work then? Short walk in and okay if the winds ease.
 Dave P 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Chay:

Incidentally, from the drive into work today the east face of Tryfan and east face of Bristly ridge look a lot more snowy and rhimed up than the western sides. So if you opted for Bristly Ridge or North Ridge of Tryfan you should get less "full on" conditions sticking more to the western side where possible (should be a bit more out of the current easterly wind as well - though watch for pockets of slab buildup in the lee of the wind).
OP Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave P: Thanks, Dave.

That could work quite nicely.
OP Chay 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Chay: With the obvious advantage that N.Ridge can be made as easier or as hard as we desire depending on how he gets on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...