UKC

Size 5 or 6 DMM Dragon for Grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 25 Mar 2013
In the process of adding to my set of Cams. Currently own 1, 2, and 3 4CU and want to fill in the gaps with a few Dragons. Cant decide wether to get a size 5 or 6 as my largest. Which one do you find you use the most? The 6 would be nice to protect monster cracks but I think it might be wasted otherwise. I climb almost exclusively on grit.
 Alpenglow 26 Mar 2013
In reply to ralphio: Probably the 5. You'll get more use out of it.

BR
 JayPee630 26 Mar 2013
In reply to ralphio:

What size Dragons are you getting? I've got the same DMM 4CU set and looked at filling my range in but the Dragons only come in full sizes, so have looked at the Demons to fill in as they come in the half sizes.
Clauso 26 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

But... Isn't part of the point of double axle Dragons, that they have greater expansion ranges than single axle cams, such as Demons, and hence there is no need for the half sizes?
 JayPee630 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Clauso:

Yeah, bigger expansion range, but still only one unit, and if supplementing a few cams already thought it makes more sense to get units that fit between ones I already have.
 Monkey_Alan 26 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
The Dragons use a completely different numbering system to Demons/4CUs - a Dragon 5 is similar to a Demon/4CU 3.5

For a full size comparison, see here:
http://alanblanchflower.co.uk/climbing/cams.php?md[]=Demon&md[]=Dragon&...
Clauso 26 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

Fair enough.
 JayPee630 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Monkey_Alan:

Thanks, that's useful.
OP ralphio 26 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630: was thinking of getting sizes 2, 4 and then either 5 or 6... To be honest i'd happily get more 4CU's but if i get Dragons i like the fact that there would be quite a lot of overlap between each cam which would give me a bit more flexibility. Also, i've been using my mates dragons and they just feel a lot nicer.
 althesin 26 Mar 2013
In reply to ralphio:
I got a 6 dragon because it goes a bit bigger than a size 4 4cu, very useful if you like wide cracks, but gets left at the bottom of slabs and thinner cracks. I'm now looking for the best small dragon to add to my 4cu's, one that will get me out of trouble when I need to get a cam in and go without having to get the perfect size, any ideas?
 dr_botnik 26 Mar 2013
In reply to althesin: either green or the zero (blue) I use them on just about every climb, more than one green helps alot.
In reply to ralphio: FWIW Dragons wouldn't be my first choice larger than a 4CU size 3 / Dragon size 4.

I replaced 4CUs with Dragons 1-4, but bearing in mind cost and especially weight, I bought DMM Demon cams in size 3.5 & 4 instead of Dragons 5/6. [Both were recently available at the stunning price of £32.50 from Rock+Run, unfortunately the price must have been too good, in that when I checked today the size 4 is now sold out, although size 3.5 is still in stock - http://www.rockrun.com/products/DMM-Demon-Cam-Size-3.5.html ]

However, if I wanted maximum expansion range and I was less concerned about cost and weight I would also have considered a Metolius Supercam in medium or large.

Whatever you do with exact sizes of gear, sometime it will always seem the wrong decision, but in reality there isn't a massive difference between the two adjacent sizes in Dragons or any of the other cams.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...