UKC

Cash in Kalymnos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Motown 26 Mar 2013
Better to take with or are cash machines reasonable value?
 snoop6060 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Will Cat:

There is one is missori (spelling?)...Which works some of the time. I would take a bit of cash just in case.

Not entirely sure what you mean by good value. Its never given me more money that I asked for, I live in hope though.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Mar 2013
In reply to snoop6060:
> (In reply to Will Cat)
>
> There is one is missori (spelling?)...Which works some of the time. I would take a bit of cash just in case.
>

It wasn't there yesterday - just a boarded up hole in the wall. One in Elias and loads in Pothia.

Chris
 Andy S 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Will Cat: cash machine are reasonable value. I do alot of travel and I just use ATM's, taking out 100 pounds at a time - it's a balance between making the most of the charges incurred to withdraw (which are small) and not taking so much out that it's big trouble if you lose it.
 Simon Caldwell 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> It wasn't there yesterday - just a boarded up hole in the wall

We saw them take it out when we were there in November 2011. They said it was removed every winter, and replaced for the tourist season.

They may of course have been stealing it.
 SGD 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs: Slight Thread Hijack....

Hi Chris. Whats the situation like at the mo regarding paying by card for accomodation/eating out etc? When we where there last year during the euro crisis a lot of places started refusing to except cards so we had to use the machine in Masouri to take a lot of extra cash out. We are heading back there in May so I hope they put it back in by then....
 Simon Caldwell 26 Mar 2013
In reply to SGD:
> When we where there last year during the euro crisis a lot of places started refusing to except cards

When we were there before the Euro crisis, most places didn't take cards - cash-in-hand only.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Mar 2013
In reply to SGD:

I am sure they will put it back for 'the season' though that may not be for a couple of months - it wasn't there 30 mins ago! We have used credit-cards for car-hire, petrol and (big) supermarket shop. Haven't eaten out or shopped in Masouri yet but would expect to pay cash there anyway.

Chris
 SGD 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Toreador/Chris Craggs: Yeh thats what I figured. We will probably take enough cash to cover accomodation as well
 icnoble 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Will Cat: I am going to Kalymnos this October and will be taking cash. I dont want to have to rely on cash machines.
 John Alcock 26 Mar 2013
In reply to icnoble:
I am arriving tomorrow and will be taking cash for accomodation. It's a bit of a pain getting money if the hole in the wall isn't there unless you have transport.
 Alison 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Will Cat:
There's a hole in the wall right in the middle of Massouri (where all the climbers hang out), so you don't need transport. In my experience that machine has only once been out of action, but was repaired in 2 days.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Alison:
>
> There's a hole in the wall right in the middle of Massouri (where all the climbers hang out), so you don't need transport. In my experience that machine has only once been out of action, but was repaired in 2 days.

.. and as I said further up the thread, it isn't there at the moment. They remove it for the winter.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...