UKC

Road bike advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lhod 27 Mar 2013
Hoping the roadie collective on UKC can offer me some advice. I've not got much experience / knowledge with bike components...

I have a Specialized Allez Sport 2008 and need to replace the rear brake. It's currently Tiagra, I'm looking at replacing with 105 as it seems a lot better for not much more cash. I've had a look at the following:

Shimano 105 5700 Rear Brake Caliper (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5700-rear-brake-caliper/)
Shimano 105 5600 Rear Brake Caliper (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5600-rear-brake-caliper/)

Firstly, would both of these be compatible with my set up? Gear shifters are Tiagra. The blurb for the first brake says "must be used in conjunction with ST-5700, ST-6700 or ST-7900 STIs for correct leverage ratio". As far as I can see, the shifters are 4600, but I don't really know what this means and so may have got it wrong. Let me know if any more info is needed to answer this question.

Secondly, what is the difference between these 2 brakes?

Please can someone help me!
 mr rob 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Lhod:

Go for the newer cheaper version

Brakes are pretty much universally compatible, they will work fine
 Enty 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Lhod:
>
>
> Secondly, what is the difference between these 2 brakes?
>

About 6 quid - and that's it

E

Enty 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Lhod:

Actually there is a difference - in the photo, the 5600 calipers have the pads in the wrong way - unless that's a picture of the front calipers.

E
 Enty 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Enty:

And judging by the length of the bolt I think that is the case.

E
OP Lhod 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Lhod:

Nice one - thank you both
 balmybaldwin 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Lhod:

Why are you replacing the barkes? due to the ols ones being stiff/hard to get stopping power?

If so, look at the brake cable routing, making sure it doesn't go round sharp corners or have any unecessary kinks in it and replace outers as necessary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...