UKC

Lightweight vs Durable shells

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomwalton 27 Mar 2013
I'm looking at getting a new shell jacket and have come to love the smock design.

I'm not sure whether to go with a lightweight gore-tex design such as the Berghaus Asgard and just whip the shell on and off regarding the rain; or whether to use a Paramo Aspira for all conditions.

I've heard that Paramos run very hot but are very durable, however would a Gore-text pro shell or similar would wick better?

Looking for year round use with trips to Scotland and France in both summer and winter planned and am just undecided.

Anyone have any advice?
 Siward 27 Mar 2013
In reply to tomwalton: I'm happy to use my paramo from autumn to spring, but will admit to having a lightweight paclite thing for summer.

Wicking or otherwise is comparing apples with oranges- they work so differently.

My 2p.
In reply to tomwalton:

Wicking doesn't really enter the equation for a waterproof jacket. You certainly don't want the face fabric to wick (that is, water spreading out over the surface of the fabric). If the face fabric is wicking, it needs to be re-proofed...

You may have used the wrong term, intending to use 'breathing', or the ability for the fabric to allow water vapour to escape. In which case, yes, Paramo will be better, if warmer; about as warm as a shelled micropile jacket, since that is essentially what it is. Whether this is better for your needs is hard to say...
OP tomwalton 27 Mar 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
Thanks for the reply, I was meaning breathability instead of wicking you were correct.

Had some good recommendations for Paramo for winter kit, thanks for your help.
In reply to tomwalton:

For me durable > lightweight. Always. Not saying buy the heaviest thing out there though i can't say I've ever really felt a heavy GTX pro shell jacket. Not heavy when compared to other things, like the curry I had last night, or last year's mince pies (still hanging around).

To be honest if you scramble or climb, your jacket should see some abrasion, so go as durable as possible I say. Unless you're going for speed records?
needvert 28 Mar 2013
In reply to tomwalton:

I went with light on the logic that the raincoat I bought is better then the one I left at home while cutting weight. Doesn't rain much in my region.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...