UKC

Nisi Dominus aedificaverit domum (Vivaldi)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 27 Mar 2013
Isn't this *brilliant*?

youtube.com/watch?v=HuFiqKQ4mvM&

Ahh, baroque. What a hole in my life there'd be without my favourite Catholic priest of all time: Monsignor Vivaldi
 Toby S 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

<<shrugs>> s'ok.
Tim Chappell 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Toby S:

What I love about it is the way it educates your emotions. Instead of just affirming what you feel anyway, it teaches you to feel something you would never have felt all on your own. It takes you into a space of precision, clarity, and lyrical movement that you could never have attained your own.

Bloody brilliant.
Clauso 27 Mar 2013

Brilliant?... It's never made X-Factor ya pseud.

Agreed. I also clicked on Jaroussky singing J.C.Bach's 'La Dolce Fiamma', on the same YouTube page - awesomely beautiful.
Tim Chappell 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> Brilliant?... It's never made X-Factor ya pseud.

Darren--let's get one thing straight from the off-- OF COURSE I'm a pseud.

OK? Good. Now we can proceed
Jimbo W 27 Mar 2013

Not sure about that. If it's got to be baroque, it has to be Bach:
youtube.com/watch?v=X_Nos_-Zj38&
Or perhaps Weiss:
youtube.com/watch?v=0_7zPGdJKRE&

But I'll raise you some English Renaissance with John Sheppherd - Media Vita:
youtube.com/watch?v=4R2TidP-UwU&

Suck it and see!!!
 Toby S 27 Mar 2013
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> What I love about it is the way it educates your emotions. Instead of just affirming what you feel anyway, it teaches you to feel something you would never have felt all on your own. It takes you into a space of precision, clarity, and lyrical movement that you could never have attained your own.
>
s'pose.

Does Tulisa sing wiv 'em?

Tim Chappell 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Jimbo and Gordon:

Many thanks-- will have a lis to both, once my children let me on a computer with decent speakers...
Jimbo W 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Agreed. I also clicked on Jaroussky singing J.C.Bach's 'La Dolce Fiamma', on the same YouTube page - awesomely beautiful.

Wonderful.
 john arran 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:

> Not sure about that. If it's got to be baroque, it has to be Bach:
> youtube.com/watch?v=X_Nos_-Zj38&

Certainly more challenging than the Vivaldi piece, but another recording of the same piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=RG7rx3BO6JY&NR=1 on the same youtube page for me blew it out of the water, possibly due in part at least to more modern recording techniques.
 Ropeboy 28 Mar 2013

I've always enjoyed the Miserere
youtube.com/watch?v=yDRoL7ziDP4&

Interesting story too, it was only performed in the Vatican and a 14 year Mozart heard it once and went home and wrote it all down note for note, this was something that was punishable with excommunication!

J
Jimbo W 28 Mar 2013
In reply to john arran:

> Certainly more challenging than the Vivaldi piece, but another recording of the same piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=RG7rx3BO6JY&NR=1 on the same youtube page for me blew it out of the water, possibly due in part at least to more modern recording techniques.

I have to say she wasn't my favourite. For me, it is an over the top emotional interpretation, especially pronounced when the subject is repeated up the octave at 0:53, which should sound like two independent musical lines, and when each has their own integrity, sound like two violins in duet. The acoustic (or possibly even additional electronic sustain) dominates over the immediate tone of the violin, and its so bad the video looks mimed!!

The Heifetz isn't my favourite, but its the first one I found on youtube. My favourite recording of this is with Oscar Shumsky playing, but its not on youtube. Indeed, I stole my dad's recording of it when I came to uni, which was a very old CD. Unfortunately, the box was a bit knackered, and unbeknownst to me the CD had slipped half out, so when I put something onto the CD shelf next to it, the box clamped over the CD and scratched the foil. I went to try and find a replacement and the only one I could find was for >£3000 .... ....ouch.... ...that wasn't the best confession to have to make!
 icnoble 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: This is sublime

youtube.com/watch?v=dLa61qc26Hs&
Jimbo W 28 Mar 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) All too recent for me, I prefer; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IIcrgNtyX0U

I'm with you with Tallis:
youtube.com/watch?v=lXpA_0QsXgs&
Jimbo W 28 Mar 2013

Back to baroque, if you know it and sing it, it can get a bit hackneyed, but it is pretty unique nonetheless, and makes a strong impression on the first hearing with suspension after suspension.. ..enjoy:
youtube.com/watch?v=WpPJWFONvaE&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...