UKC

NEW REVIEW: Mid Layer Fleeces

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 28 Mar 2013
Patagonia Piton Hybrid Hoody keeping out the evening breeze on An Teallach, 4 kbDan and Pegs Bailey test out a selection of lightweight fleece tops for men and women.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5306
 Fluvial 28 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

I love the way that Patagonia price themselves nigh on double the others but I am sure a gear geek could tell us why?
 Carolyn 28 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

I take it that's a small baby in a cute coat with ears hiding in the wrap in the top picture? I thought at first glance the toddler had been evicted from the sling and the dog was was being carried.....
In reply to Fluvial:

Mammut aren't far behind, with that £90 PowerStretch top...
 snoop6060 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Fluvial:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> I love the way that Patagonia price themselves nigh on double the others but I am sure a gear geek could tell us why?

Because they sell. Supply and demand. Its simple economics rather than gear geekery (this a word?)
 angry pirate 28 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
Interesting review.
I'm not sure I agree on the Shroud / Radiant comparison. I've got one of each and the Shroud is significantly warmer and is my go to for winter climbing under a shell. The Radiant is my day to day fleece to stop me wearing the Shroud out too quickly. I do love the Radiant (I pretty much live in it) and it's ace for climbing in and as a good light mid layer but the thin breathable side panels mean I would entertain wearing it without some kind of shell.
 martinph78 28 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Can I ask why the review doesn't cover a wider price range? There are loads of microfleeces available from £5-£35. I for one would much rather see a few cheaper, and a budget options included.

I haven't even read the reviews after I saw the prices.
 The Norris 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

The cynic in me is thinking that the review is sponsored by the brands being reviewed, and it wouldnt surprise me if there's bugger all difference between a cheapo £5 fleece and a 90 quid one!

I imagine if you buy a 90 quid fleece you're pretty likely to think its pretty good.
 TobyA 28 Mar 2013
In reply to The Norris:

> The cynic in me is thinking that the review is sponsored by the brands being reviewed,

The reviews aren't sponsored beyond the companies giving the gear to reviewers, rather than the reviewers buying the kit themselves. Of course companies want certain things reviewed - their new products, often their more "special" items - the technical, top-of-the-line stuff etc. They don't have any say over what the reviewer says and if you read Dan (and Mrs. Dan)'s words they tend to point out something not perfect about each one. The companies take that chance when they put something up to review.

> and it wouldnt surprise me if there's bugger all difference between a cheapo £5 fleece and a 90 quid one!

I'd expect there to be some differences, but that's not to say a Decathlon "Blue" range microfleece isn't ok. They are superb value for money, but as I'm still using some 15 year old microfleeces, I'm happy to pay more - even if I can't afford the really pricey ones like the Patagonia in this review.
ice.solo 28 Mar 2013
In reply to The Norris:

there is a difference - maybe not X18, but significant.

high end stuff uses higher quality components ranging from fibres and treatments to thread and fasteners and dyes and stitch counts.
the patterning on expensive stuff is more sophisticated, and construction methods use better technology, often applied by more skilled workers that include sharper eyed quality control.

textile producers have vast ranges of fabrics and treatments to choose from, and the fancier ones cost more per meter to make, with different limits of amount available.
combining various fabrics in hybrid garments pushes costs up, as does combining construction methods.
different colours make things expensive too. note that many of these designs are made in lots of 10,000.

so yeah, a final garment may have 1/4 the prices stuff in it - but putting it together and onto a shelf adds up. the name on the label reflects that process; arcteryx, patagonia etc maintain high standards right from conception to a decent display area.

but then, 99% of users will never push the limits of a garment, doing things that a uniqlo fleece (or whatever) will perfectly cope with.
 martinph78 29 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: I'm not saying that there aren't differences (and would hope that there are given the prices!). What I am asking is why don't the comparison reviews consider a broader range of prices.

If the review compared £5-150 fleeces and gave reasons for spending more then that would be a comprehensive review.

Not that any of us couldn't just go to a shop and try a few different ones on, buy the one that fits our body and budget, and be happy...
In reply to Martin1978:

Realistically? Probably because Primark, Tesco and Uniqlo aren't likely to advertise on UKC. It's not a charity...
 ayuplass 29 Mar 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:
I once bought a fleece top from Aldi that looked similar to a mountain hardware one I already had but was a quarter of the price. The cut had been designed with a box rather than a human in mind but it was comfy enough. It was lovely and warm to wear on an evenin to the pub or to pop on after the gym but it did not wick at all so was useless for anything active.
For the price I paid it was still good value and was fine for the camping trip I bought it for.

I started out doing winter mountaineering in army surplus and have paid more and more for my gear as the years have gone by. I'm more comfortable and warmer but I suspect I buy expensive gear rather than say regatta just because I can. I have got some regatta and cheaper gear which is also good value and fine for work which is what I bought it for.
It's like any other consumer goods such as cameras or cars, you work out what you can afford, what your needs are, what you think is reasonable and buy at that price point. canny marketing makes sure there is something for all budgets (whether it's worth that price is up to you to decide)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...