UKC

Advice on base layers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lambertsonsunshine 28 Mar 2013
Hi,

I noticed in the spring issue of Trail Magazine a feature on base layers. In there they recommended a base layer called Xcelcius Megatherm for extreme cold for temperatures down to -25oC. I have checked out their website http://www.xcelcius.co.uk/products/xcelcius-megatherm-mens-long-sleeve-top.... and it looks good but was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this brand or company.

Thanks,
Sonny
 TobyA 28 Mar 2013
In reply to lambertsonsunshine: You wouldn't by any chance happen to work for them would you?
 Carolyn 28 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Why Toby, what on earth makes you think that might be the case?
 deepsoup 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
It often does turn out to be the case when a person's first ever post on here (or any forum) is plugging some product or other. (Usually in the form of "I discovered this.." or "What do you think of this...")
 Carolyn 28 Mar 2013
In reply to deepsoup:

I know, I've been here long enough, I was teasing....
In reply to lambertsonsunshine:

Xcelcius? From Wikipedia:

"Celcius is the fourth studio album by rapper Tech N9ne" whereas "Celsius, also known as centigrade, is a scale and unit of measurement for temperature".

Is this product aimed at extreme rappers?
Hi, no don't work for the company or have any thing to do with them. I can understand the sceptiscm but its a shame people have to be so suspicious. Was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of their products?
 deepsoup 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
D'Oh! Of course you were. I'm a bit dim today.
 deepsoup 28 Mar 2013
> Was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of their products?

Not only do I not, I have no idea what "certified down to -25°C" actually means.
Who gives out the certificates?
If your base layer is exposed to those kinds of temperatures, shouldn't you be putting more clothes on?
 Glyno 28 Mar 2013

they're rubbish mate, I'd steer well clear.
Haha, thanks for your help guys! Guess I am in the wrong place for some helpful advice. All u had to say was sorry not heard of the before! I don't know about the certified thing either so was hoping for some help. I have been in this forum for over a year now but this is my first post as t is the first time I had something to ask. Nevermind!
In reply to deepsoup:

> Not only do I not, I have no idea what "certified down to -25°C" actually means.

Perhaps it means you'd have to be certified to wear just the base layer at -25C...
In reply to deepsoup:

"Viloft is made from wood pulp which increases thermal performance."

Another good one. It's just cellulose acetate, aka Rayon, aka Viscose, aka Modal aka...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon

Having said that, I like the North Cape RhovylTherm base layers I've got, for cold weather use. And they're a similar mix of Modal (cellulose acetate) and polyester. They're probably about the same weight as these, and warm. But they do hang on to sweat; not surprisingly, since it's quite a thick fabric.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...