UKC

Zamberlan Alpine Lites - stiff enough for a crampon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chaotic_chris 29 Mar 2013
Hello, wanted some advice. I've signed up for an Alpine course this Summer - will be up to 4000m and need crampons. I have a pair of Zamberlan Alpine Lite 4 season boots which are in great condition but I don't know if they are stiff enough for an articulated crampon (as recommended by the course provider). Nothing on the web and no reply to my emails to Zamberlan.

Thanks,
Chris
 TobyA 29 Mar 2013
In reply to ChrisMoss: If they are "4 season" that always used to mean they could take a crampon. My wife has a pair of Zamberland's from the 90s which were their classic mountain boot and she has done plenty of alpine stuff in them with strap on crampons, BUT I unfortunately can't remember what model name they were.

How stiff are they? For sustained crampon use you want them to be too stiff to be able to bend by hand. Also, if you can post a pic of them as well it might help some of us more mature gear-freaks help identify them!
OP chaotic_chris 29 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Toby, the boots are 4 season leather and completely rigid with a welt on the the toe and heel. I'll work out how to upload a photo

Cheers,
Chris
 TobyA 29 Mar 2013
In reply to ChrisMoss: Sound very similar to my wife's, although hers were an older design so wouldn't take step in crampons, she needs to use full-strap ones. Modern crampon binding designs though are so good, that's not really a problem. If they are that rigid they're almost certain to be fine with crampons.
OP chaotic_chris 29 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Toby, that's great, thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...