UKC

Liathach or An Teallach traverse tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeys 29 Mar 2013
Anyone familiar with conditions on Liathach Ridge or An Teallach last couple of days? Heading out there tonight for early start tomorrow.
Thanks folks.
In reply to monkeys:

I heard they were good from someone up there a week ago. Not got any more recent conditions advice though. I don't imagine they have got worse given the weather.
 AdrianC 29 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: Just down off there after climbing umbrella gully (which is in good condition.) Ridge is snowy, some crusty bits, some wind-packed. Shady rocks rimed. Moderate cold easterly still blowing up there so bring plenty of layers but great weather, should be a very nice day out.
 doz 29 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: An Teallach traverse thursday ...lots powder, hard going but worthwhile!
Daniel Caola 30 Mar 2013
In reply to doz: I don't spose you know if the gullies or faces were icy? I'm optimistically thinking that as they face east they might have been blasted by the wind, whereas doing the traverse you are effectively on the lee slope where it would accumulate more powder...?
 doz 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Daniel Caola: Yep, would have assumed same but pretty mixed, plenty unconsolidated snow and slab on east and on the pinnacles which expected to be blasted!
OP monkeys 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Daniel Caola:
Ascended via Chockstone gully. Combinations of solid and unconsolidated snow there. Summit - lots of powder, rime which falls apart when touched, no frozen turf. A good day out, quite cold on top, and my crampons have never seen so much bare rock. Got a suntan
 subalpine 31 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: show us your pics then..
 planetmarshall 01 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeys: Was there on Saturday, concur on the conditions. Found Chockstone Gully to be solid, but The Pinnacles dry as a bone and not really in Winter conditions.

At this time of year best treat it as an alpine route and try to get on the ridge before the sun strips it.

Andrew.
 Kate Landells 04 Apr 2013
In reply to planetmarshall: Did the traverse on Wednesday. Pinnacles mainly dry and the snow that there was on the ridge well consolidated. Descent into Glas Tholl reasonably hard snow/ice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...