UKC

Hoad slab ulverston

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
alanlgm 30 Mar 2013
Can anyone give me directions to get to the hoad slabs in ulverston please.

Also I am going with the intention of setting up a top rope for a small 5 year old will this place be suitable?

And guidance would be great

Thanks

Alan
 petegunn 30 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm: In the guide that i have it says.
"Clearly seen from the A590 just north of Ulverston. Park in the steep lane below the hill".
Grid Ref SD 296 790
Think there is a radio mast near to it.

Hope that is of some help
 andy 30 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm: I'd park on Ford Park which is off Hart Street. Walk to the very end and take the ginnel/dog shit alley to the right. Just past a big limestone rock in the middle of the path go through the gate to the left and follow the lower path where it forks. This will take you underneath the slab. I think it might be a bit big for a 5 year old, although if you take the left/upper fork mentioned above that takes you to the top and there's some smaller slabs up there to play on. You could maybe see how that goes before setting something up on the main slab, or there's a subsidiary bit up to a ledge at the bottom of the main crag.
alanlgm 30 Mar 2013
Great guys thanks
 Rog Wilko 30 Mar 2013
In reply to petegunn: The "radio mast" is in fact a lighthouse structure (Hoad Memorial) and very hard to miss!
 DreadyCraig 30 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1460
It's really easy to find. Park up in the side streets and walk through the park up the hill towards the lighthouse.
There are bolts at the top for setting up a belay, bring some long slings or rigging rope to extend them over the edge if you wish to set up a toprope (bottom rope).
As this is near a built up area, there was a small amount of broken glass on/around the crag, keep an eye out for it if you are taking your young children.
 DreadyCraig 30 Mar 2013
 Tradical 31 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm: If you are here tomorrow (Sunday) I'd be willing to meet you and show you around over Hoad.
alanlgm 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Tommy Moore: thanks Tommy I really appreciate the offer but we will be going down there Monday but not sure what time.

Enjoy your weekend

Alan
 andy 31 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm:
> (In reply to Tommy Moore) thanks Tommy I really appreciate the offer but we will be going down there Monday but not sure what time.

If it's in the afternoon it'll be dead busy so deffo leave the car in Ford Park - egg rolling.
 Tradical 31 Mar 2013
In reply to alanlgm: I'll PM you my number, I may or may not be free - most likely will be though.

Because it's Easter weekend there is a chance there will be others there - a rarity for the slab.

T
 Ron Kenyon 01 Apr 2013
In reply to alanlgm:

You may not want to fork out for a guide however The Hoad is in the FRCC guide to Eden Valley and South Lakes Limestone (and whatever The Hoad is made of).
 Tradical 02 Apr 2013
In reply to alanlgm: Did you get there in the end? I went up in the evening, twas windy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...