UKC

eVent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 30 Mar 2013
I don't know if its just my perception, but I get the impression that Rab and others are stepping back from their championing of eVent.
From being the wonder breathable fabric a year ago, it seems they and others are not shouting about it so much.
There was a thread on here a while back that slated the durability of eVent, and its getting more and more difficult to find gear using eVent, Rab shouting much louder about Pertex now.
Any one else noticed this?
In reply to Fredt: I think you are completely right about the fact that companies are currently heavily promoting 'pertex' and other such 'water resistant' fabrics over traditional fully waterproof fabrics.

I think this is mainly related to the general upsurge in popularity and acceptance of 'softshells' and the corresponding decline in the interest in hardshells rather than a specific issue with eVent.

However, I will be happy to defer to others with more in depth knowledge.
 Damo 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Fredt:

eVent can now be sold to manufacturers and branded their own proprietary name so.there's not the same benefit in pushing the eVent name. You're probably seeing more of it, but rebranded.
 robthered 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Fredt:

Surely it's just marketing/capitalism/consumerism in action?

After you've convinced a load of people to buy eVent (for example) gear it's more difficult to get them to spend more cash on 'slightly different' eVent gear than to promote the new 'best thing ever'...

It's still horses for courses. Was close to buying the new Montane minimus smock (Pertex 2.5) to run the OMM but opted for 2nd Hand (unworn) Rab Demand instead - 100g odd difference but better durability = more use.

Pays your money takes your choice.
 robthered 30 Mar 2013
In reply to robthered:

Should just qualify, that I'm not intending on wearing the Demand during the OMM - it's going to be in the pack - but now might come to the Alps as well. The Minimus definitely wouldn't have been on the plane.
ice.solo 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Fredt:

event isnt the latest thing anymore. new membranes are arriving from polartec and gore that supercedes it.

that said, event is still about under different names such as dryQ from mhw and DV from pertex.

the whole membrane world has been shaken and stirred over the last 2 or 3 years, with buy outs, licenses and advances in technology.
keep an eye on it as big changes are coming.
 Mr Fuller 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Fredt: Yeah, there's a few issues here.

1) With Neoshell now out and Gore Pro and Active Shell out, it is no longer that new.
2) As ice.solo says, DryQ Elite and others are just rebranded eVent.
3) There may be concerns over its long-term durability.
4) All the economics of supply/demand.

The biggest change will come when Gore release their new fabrics in the next year or so as they are - oversimplification - changing the way their membranes are constructed.
 Edvin m 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:
> (In reply to Fredt)
>
> The biggest change will come when Gore release their new fabrics in the next year or so as they are - oversimplification - changing the way their membranes are constructed.

OHH! Come on, you have to give us geeks a little bit more than that!
 Mr Fuller 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Edvin m: Haha, I wish I could but then someone might kill me!
 GarethSL 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Edvin m:
> (In reply to Mr Fuller)
> [...]
>
>
> OHH! Come on, you have to give us geeks a little bit more than that!

Makes me think active shell membrane with the woven pro shell backer, or the .5 lining seen on paclite... Gore tend to change their membranes only so often, but fill the gap with different linings in their 3 layer fabrics.

I vaguely remember there was a specific reason for why the active shell didn't come with the woven lining, instead using the old school scrim, but its lost on me. Given the whole point of the pro-shell lining was to be lighter, more durable and breathable... Either that or we were lied to!
 Murray Walker 13 Apr 2013
In reply to robthered: Why not take the Minimus to the Alps? You rarely need a waterproof in the alps. A soft shell can take the abuse and the Minimus could sit at the bottom of the pack just in case.

I'm thinking about buying the RAB Pulse pull-on for that very reason so I don't have to lug the Latok Alpine around knowing I hardly ever wear it.

Is this a bad idea? when the weather does turn wet and wild and I have to wear it am I likely to destroy it in a season?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...