UKC

reports of an avalanche 30/03/2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 30 Mar 2013
......and sadly one killed. Does anyone have anymore info?
 sleavesley 30 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: near glencoe ski centre. Off piste incident?
In reply to An Triubhas:

There has been an avalanche in Glencoe.
Near the Ski area

No more details than this link gives.

http://www.northern.police.uk/News-and-Media/news-item.htm?item_id=PR5599_2...
 Only a hill 30 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
A couple more details:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21980823

Sincerely hope the person is found safe and well.
 fizz 30 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

also on BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21980823

"off-piste skiing area in the Etive Glades at 13:05"
 Gael Force 11 Apr 2013
In reply to george mc:
Having fortunately survived an avalanche in 1984 in Glencoe I do worry about this a fair bit, and am very wary when climbing although I don't carry transceiver,shovel etc, and don't know any Scottish climbers who do.
I think the case is most skiers/boarders who are skiing off piste but close to the piste do not carry transceiver, probe or shovel. Those venturing further afield may carry safety equipment.
I dont cary it while skiing or ski touring in Scotland as I often tour on my own mid week, and they wont help a lone skier, if I go with somebody else, nobody I know carries it in Scotland so I don't either.
What I do is try to minimise the danger by checking the SAIS report and avoiding any slopes with a risk of considerable upwards. I was skiing slopes of considerable or the old 3 but have stopped now. I also tend to ski ridges more than gullies, if I am unsure.
If I am at a ski resort and touring from there I speak to the ski patrol and ask them what they think of snow conditions in the area. The risk does play on my mind a bit, especially this year when I have been skiing 3 or 4 days a week on average all season here and abroad.
Interestingly the day before this accident or possibly two days before I was with a friend at the edge of the Etive Glades just checking it out ,but wasn't going any further due to poor visibility and poor snow conditions, and was approached by the ski patrol and advised not to go due to considerable avalanche risk.
I have since wondered if the visibility had been better if that might have been us at the bottom, had the ski patrol not taken the time to talk to us.
I think avoidance is the key rather than a reliance on transceiver etc., which sadly probably wont help you if you are caught in one.
I am not saying don't carry one, I think people should,when skiing off piste in Scotland just be aware it is not going to increase your chances by much, avoidance is the key.
I cant see climbers buying the kit because they don't want the weight, and probably rely on avoidance, which I think is easier climbing than if you are skiing, due to the slope angles, unless you only climb easy routes or are not careful about descents.
I think more awareness, presumably why George has posted this, and avoidance tactics are the best chance of not being caught out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...