UKC

Shepherds Crag, Cumbria - Climbable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattking_109 31 Mar 2013
Just wondering what the conditions are like for rock climbing here at the moment? i.e. Would there be snow on any routes / descents? looking to get there for the first time tomorrow hopefully!

Thanks in advance
 Rachel Slater 31 Mar 2013
In reply to mattking_109:

We went last weekend, a lot of routes were bone dry and the crag was completely sheltered and out of the wind (while it was freezing in Keswick). Didn't climb much because I'm inujured but definitely would have got lots done otherwise! There was a little snow at the top and the descent but none on most routes.
OP mattking_109 31 Mar 2013
In reply to r fizzle: Thanks! that's really helpful
 Andysomething 31 Mar 2013
In reply to mattking_109: Passed by yesterday. Looked fine from the road....

It's fairly safe to say that you can always find something to climb at Shepherds whatever the weather conditions. I have -- though climbing Brown Crag Wall in big boots in full monsoon conditions was not the most pleasant experience I've had there!

I'd possibly draw the line at going there if the place was plastered in hoar frost or verglas -- but then again most of the Borrowdale winter routes would be in nick so why bother with Shepherds!
redsonja 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness: agreed. there is always something to climb at shepherds and I reckon the rock will be pretty dry at the moment
 Andy Long 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to mattking_109)
>
> I have -- though climbing Brown Crag Wall in big boots in full monsoon conditions was not the most pleasant experience I've had there!
>
>Indeedy. After a summer of dancing up the sun-warmed E-numbers I would sometimes find myself on Brown Slabs Arete on a pissing-wet October day with a student who couldn't pay out the rope properly. A true brown-trouser experience.

BenTiffin 02 Apr 2013
In reply to mattking_109: People on little Cham and donkeys ears at 18:30 today
 nickcj 03 Apr 2013

Been there the last two days. Rock is dry but cold. No snow on descents.
 mikekeswick 03 Apr 2013
In reply to mattking_109: It was bone dry yesterady, did a bit of soloing and evrything is warm , dry and perfect! Even conclusiion was completely dry...for probably the first time in months! Get yersell there.
In reply to mikekeswick:
> (In reply to mattking_109) Get yersell there.

The tradition is a couple of routes on Great End then down to Shepherds in a T shirt for the afternoon sun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...