UKC

Lake District or nearby coastal locations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Evening all,

I'm planning a weeks break in the summer for the family and one option which provides a compromise is the North West coast or Lake District.

We are looking into a holiday cottage which is ideally near the coast; I suppose all Cumbrian coastline is close enough to the lakes for walking too for me for a couple of days.

Problem is, whilst I'm pretty familiar with most of the lovely spots inland, I dont really know the coastline. I believe there is a bit of industry which we would want to avoid but would someone let me know where the lovely parts of the Cumbrian coastline are which I could consider and the parts to give a wide berth.

Ta
 Jon Stewart 01 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

St Bees (the crag) is nice.

Whitehaven is a f^cking shithole.

Ridge 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> St Bees (the crag) is nice.

> Whitehaven is a f^cking shithole.

Says someone who lives in Shipley..

Around Ravenglass is nice, handy for Eskdale and some nice pubs in the area.

St Bees is ok, but a bit busy in high season.

I'll have to agree with the previous poster that anywhere north of St Bees and south of Maryport is best avoided, (as is Maryport itself).

North of Maryport you're on the Solway plain, where you have to set your watch back to 1950, but you do have plenty if empty sandy beaches.
 Ridge 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Ridge:

Only problem with the Solway plain is it's a good 30 to 40 mins to Keswick or Ennerdale, so the fells aren't on the doorstep, plus it's not exactly buzzing with nightlife up here. (But I like it, even after living in Shipley...).

Ravenglass would be the best bet, or somewhere in Eskdale or around Santon Bridge, as the coast isn't far.
 The New NickB 02 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Another option would be further south, Silverdale, Arnside, Grange and Cartmel are all on or very close to Morecambe Bay and very nice in a gentile sort of way, a short hop to the south lakes and with some pleasant walking and climbing on the doorstep.

Other than that, I would suggest Eskdale.
 marsbar 02 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: For a compromise coast/hills holiday I would suggest North Wales rather than the Lakes.
tchnorton 07 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Hi,

A few people mentioned Eskdale as Ravenglass is the only coastal village in the Lake District national park. I know it well, it is a beautiful estuary but not a sandy beach if that is what you are looking for. The nearest proper beach is St Bees.

That said, Eskdale is a great compromise. I own a holiday cottage there and use it most of the school holidays myself. There is plenty to do for kids and there is great access into the bigger hills. If you do go there and want tips let me know.

Tchnorton
 Lankyman 07 Apr 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> very nice in a gentile sort of way

Fine for Jewish people too (sorry Nick - couldn't resist your typo!)

Another vote for the Arnside/Silverdale AONB which is shared between South Lakeland and Lancashire. It has coast, hills and woodland and better weather than the Lakes plus handy for the Dales also. Here is a local accommodation list http://www.visitbittern.co.uk/accommodation.html but there is more if you google.

andy 07 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: could I respectfully suggest the Furness peninsula? Villages like Urswick, Baycliff, Bardsea are on or near the coast near Ulverston and are 25 minutes from Coniston. And only half an hour from J36 of the M6.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Thanks for the replies folks. We have just booked a cottage on Anglesea as a compromise and there are 5, ahem, 'mountains' on the Island for the walking. Not too far from north west Snowdonia too if i want something a tad taller.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...