UKC

Route-tracking software for running and biking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 02 Apr 2013
This should ideally be in both the running and the biking forums, so instead it's in neither!

I've been logging some runs, in part to help our Chez Arran guests with ideas for good outings while they're here. I intend to do likewise with MTB and road bike circuits too.

So far I've been using Endomondo on my Android phone, which I think is great, but I'm constantly reading of people using other systems so I'm open to suggestion as to what would be the most useful platform to use so the most people can see and follow the circuits. Ideally it would be good if circuit data can be shared between systems - does anyone know if that's easy or even possible? If not, what should I concentrate on and why?
 Oli_31 02 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran:

Sports Tracker is pretty good and if you think your guests might be a bit competitive you could try Strava. You might benefit from a bit of publicity through the latter with the whole social networking thing, equally it might put you right off : )
 Ridge 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Oli_31:

I tend to use both of those. I prefer the format of Sporttracker, but Strava does push you a bit more, especially if doing the same route as a mate.
KevinD 02 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran:

The ones i have played with allow import and export as a gpx file so you will be able to bounce routes between systems (although dont think times etc).
OP john arran 02 Apr 2013
Thanks all.
Looks like I may end up having to do it the hard way and join several schemes but with any luck they'll at least let me transfer routes between them.
 andy 02 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran: As long as you can export a GPX then your guests will be able to load the routes onto whatever clobber they use (Garmins of various hues, smartphones etc.).

In reply to andy:

That's good to know. The ideal is that they don't have to do any loading at all as the routes are already available on their choice of clobber with their existing software - maybe I'm being optimistic if there isn't much uniformity in the software people use in practice but it was certainly worth asking. Thanks.
 Banned User 77 02 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran: Strava is great. I uploaded my running and biking from down your way and get notifications that people have beaten my times so it must be fairly well used.
 andy 02 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran: Not sure it really makes any difference - if (say) they have a Garmin Edge, then they need to import the route to follow it. They import a GPX file that can have been created in any software. If they use Sporttracks on their iPhone then they need to import the file - same again.

As far as I know all software (with the exception of Goole Earth) uses GPX files - it's kind of the "text" version of GPS, so as long as you can give them a GPX file it's unlikely they'd have to do any other mucking about with it.

Or are you talking about loading your routes onto (eg) mapmyrun or bikeroutetoaster as public routes? In that case if people use specific devices like Edge or Forerunner or Ambit then they need to import it in some shape or form anyway. I think that pretty much everyone who uses GPS for running or cycling will be pretty chuffed to have GPX files of routes to do anyway! Better than the photocopied stuff we've been given previously.

Some bike places we've used have pre-loaded Garmin Edges that people can borrow/hire - so they just clip it on their bike and off they go.
In reply to andy:

> Or are you talking about loading your routes onto (eg) mapmyrun or bikeroutetoaster as public routes?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Too many options, it seems, but sounds like having files that people can upload may be a good compromise. Cheers.
 balmybaldwin 03 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran:

If your gps device is garmin, then it is very easy to upload to map my ride/run, strava, garmin connect, and endomondo simply logging on and choosing to upload activities and they will pick up all new routes on the device. Bike route toaster is a bit more of a faff I think, but may also use garmin communicator.... ive only used it to down load routes rather than uploading.

Alternatively host the files on your own website for free download.
 Ridge 03 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran:

One big plus for Strava is the 'privacy zone' you can set up around your house etc. It's surprising how many people who clearly have very serious bikes have a nice GPS track to their shed.
 yorkshireman 03 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran:

> I've been logging some runs, in part to help our Chez Arran guests with ideas for good outings while they're here. I intend to do likewise with MTB and road bike circuits too.

I've been doing something similar (although we're not in a position to have guest yet, but for friends and family) and something that works well with Strava is the hookup with Instagram. Go for a run or a ride and log it with Strava, and if you take photos on Instagram along the route, it will automatically add them to the logged run/ride when you view it in Strava.

Unfortunately it doesn't flag where exactly on the run you took the picture, which shouldn't be too hard to do, but they are constantly updating it.

Just for fun there's also a UKC Strava 'club'
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to john arran)
>
> [...]
>
>
> Just for fun there's also a UKC Strava 'club'

Great -- how can I sign up? -- just a new Strava user.

yorkshireman 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to yorkshireman)
> [...]
>
> Great -- how can I sign up? -- just a new Strava user.

Go to the 'explore' tab and select 'Clubs'.

Type 'UKC' into the club name, but make sure you type 'United Kingdom' into the location otherwise it won't show up.

balmybaldwin 03 Apr 2013
In reply to john arran:

Also, have a look at these tools for Strava:

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/06/turbo-charge-your-strava-data-with-the...

The Integrator would be useful for your own website, and the multiple ride mapper would be a useful to show routes around your base too. - Could even use to create posters/fliers etc
alanbill99 03 Apr 2013
As barmybaldwin suggests, putting the gpx files on your website is the best option. There could be a folder for each route including some photos a map to print off (yes, some runners use maps!) and gpx file
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness)
> [...]
>
> Go to the 'explore' tab and select 'Clubs'.
>
> Type 'UKC' into the club name, but make sure you type 'United Kingdom' into the location otherwise it won't show up.

Doesn't seem to work on the 'free' version. I'm a tightwad and avoid paying for 'premium' services where possible.
 Chris the Tall 03 Apr 2013
It does work on the free version, but as member of the club, I'm not sure what the point of it is !
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> It does work on the free version, but as member of the club, I'm not sure what the point of it is !

Willy waving -- though in my advanced years I've not done much of that for a while. Finding it after a chilly bike ride is the biggest problem!

> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Willy waving -- though in my advanced years I've not done much of that for a while. Finding it after a chilly bike ride is the biggest problem!

Indeed - after last night's ride the bloody thing had inverted!

ALC

balmybaldwin 03 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> It does work on the free version, but as member of the club, I'm not sure what the point of it is !

The idea when I set it up was that if we get enough memebers on it, you can then work out if you are the fastest UKCr on a certain segment.

Obviously the track round the back of your house is unlikely to be done by a lot of UKCrs, but some of the more popular trail centres, peak district routes etc will over time get plenty of rides.

It also means for instance if say Enty is waxing lyrical about his ride over the weekend, you can look it up and see where he went, which will give ideas for others.

It also means if you fancy visiting another area you can see who to contact if you are short of a partner, or just want some advice on conditions etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...