UKC

Anyone done the North Ridge of Musala?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 02 Apr 2013
Am popping out to do Musala in Bulgaria in a couple of weeks, and wouldn't mind some more info -

What's the best weather forecast site for that area (in English obviously)?

There appears to be a more spicy route over the North ridge - Anyone done it, or could give me an idea of it under winter conditions?

Will be trawling the 'net of course, but thought I'd ask you guys............
redsonja 03 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: I saw this ridge last summer. it looked really good and I imagine in winter it would be quite full on. sorry I cant be more help. hope you enjoy it- the rila mountains are fab
OP JohnnyW 03 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks Heidi - Yes, the pics I have seen look good, but can't get much info. Think we may do the 'tourist' route first day, see what the conditions are like, and maybe go back for a looksee.
redsonja 03 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: that's a good idea. if you descend from the summit to the south a little way you can see more of the route you are interested in. there looked to be one very exposed bit not far along the ridge,you could cheack this out and perhaps see the rest of the route from here. there was a guy on the ridge when I was there, moving pretty quickly, but this was in summer conditions
 stevesmith 03 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

I was there in early September last year - hot and dry with distant smoke from bush fires - Here are some pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/roofofeurope/sets/72157631499325038/
OP JohnnyW 04 Apr 2013
In reply to stevesmith:
Thanks Steve.
OP JohnnyW 23 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:
Well, just got back. The hut fella said we were the first Brits in 15 years, certainly in winter, so come on guys, surely we can't be the first of this parish to do this ridge.

It was cracker btw, probably II/III

We went a little under-equipped, having struggled to get any info, but were pleased with our performance.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151456444831144.1073741826.6390...
Wulfrunian 24 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Can't see your pics on the link unfortunately - can you change the viewing permissions, or tag Paul in them so I can see them on his feed? Really interested in having a look. Musala's on my list for a summer walk at some point.

Cheers
OP JohnnyW 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Try that now. Didn't realise you had to change permissions. Apologies it is out of synch chronologically too, dunno how to rectify that either!
Wulfrunian 24 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW:

Bostin - ta for that. Looks ace.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...