UKC

Rope for hauling, El Cap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TimhNorthBASE 03 Apr 2013
Ive heard that a 70m single is best for leading and a 60 m static haul rope, anyone have any other opinions or know any static line deals atm? cheers
 steveej 03 Apr 2013
In reply to TimhNorthBASE: I use a 75m static for hauling. Advatages are you have more line for fixing and have a built in lower out line.

I would say 60m for the lead line as mandatory.
seaofdreams 03 Apr 2013
In reply to TimhNorthBASE:

on the nose we just used an older dynamic as it could also be used as a backup lead line and it was cheaper and i had a few knocking about.

on Zodiac we had a static.

i didn’t feel the difference although a static should reduce the energy you use when hauling.

length is horses for courses

things are cheaper in the bay area - perhaps hit a store before the valley.
needvert 03 Apr 2013

Might want to get onto one of the Americancentric climbing forums, passthepitonspete for example is a wealth of information:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=241166;

Not to say the guys here aren't wise regarding El Cap, there's just less of em.
 Peter Rhodes 03 Apr 2013
In reply to TimhNorthBASE: I'd say a 60m for both. There is enough lower-out line on a 60m haul line if you keep moving the knot (which is the only sensible way in my opinion) and it is very rare to be stretching your lead to full line length (unless you have a specific mission in mind!?)

10mm static (ie: semi static, don't buy actual static as it is much less forgiving in an accident) ideally, either talk to cavers/rope access guys to find some cheap from a trade price reel or buy in the states (still expensive). Static is much burlier for jugging/hauling over edges than dynamics and you should be able to get a good few walls out of a static haul line if well managed.

There is no benefit to having a longer lead line than haul line as when you abseil you are limited by the shorter line, haul line should be at least as long or longer to make it useful.

Hope that's of use/makes some sense!

Pete
OP TimhNorthBASE 03 Apr 2013
In reply to TimhNorthBASE: Thanks for all the advice
 steveej 04 Apr 2013

http://www.caving-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi?mode=user&trans...

check these guys out. You can get yourself a 100m for less than a 60m from most climbing shops and just cut it to the length you want.

In my opinion its good to have a built in lower out line by having the extra length, you have the extra length for fixing and the whole thing costs less. You have more flexibility, and can avoid the need to take along an extra rope for fixing.

But each to their own.
 Hannes 04 Apr 2013
In reply to TimhNorthBASE: www.abaris.co.uk also do some pretty great deals
 alan1234 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Peter Rhodes:

Seconded; I can't see any use for a 70 unless you are doing it really fast. I used a 9mm static for hauling and it stood up just fine. I also had a 15m-ish lower-out line although you could tie the bag off short on the haul line instead; it was a retired half rope. Have fun!
In reply to needvert:
> Might want to get onto one of the Americancentric climbing forums,
> Not to say the guys here aren't wise regarding El Cap, there's just less of em.

Seconded. Supertopo and Mountain Project both have a wealth of good info on big walling.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...