UKC

First aid as an ML

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 plummet 03 Apr 2013
Hey folks,

I have my ML assessment next week and I have to give a short presentation on the following question:

"What should we be carrying in a first aid kit and should this include lotions and potions?"

As far as I remember from first aid courses, the answer is that technically, we shouldn't dispense "lotions and potions" to young people (assuming that means things like paracetemol, and antiseptic creams), but if it's something really bad with an obvious remedy, and we're in a remote location we could just say "help yourself to some paracetemol if you like". And then, of course, if they have a pre-existing condition, then they should carry medication for it, and we should know about it beforehand...

Doesn't seem a lot to fill a presentation with. Can anyone think of anything more to the issue that I haven't thought of? And/or anything non-obvious you have in your first aid kit I may also not have though of?

Many thanks for your help!
In reply to plummet: Bleeding, blisters and broken bones; and maybe the odd cardiac arrest. anything to do with known conditions should be catered for in addition to the kit you generally carry.

First aid should not be more complicated than that.
OP plummet 03 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
Thanks for that. You mean whoever has the known condition should provide medication (or whatever) for it?
 Dan_S 03 Apr 2013
In reply to plummet:

Here's a good place to start with first aid kit contents, with some items to consider.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3593

MR guidelines for drugs is along the lines that you can give to over 12s without problems (allowing for allergies etc). I'd say giving topical antiseptic etc. so long as you check for allergies, to under 12s would be OK.

Extra to a standard first aid kit, (dressings, plasters, antiseptic etc) I carry some irripods, a pocket face mask and a pair of tick tweezers. My drugs for personal use include imodium, ibuprofen, and also aspirin and some glucose paste which I'd offer to other folk if the need arose.
In reply to plummet:
> (In reply to highclimber)
> Thanks for that. You mean whoever has the known condition should provide medication (or whatever) for it?

Yea, so someone with a known allergy should provide an epipen though I do have some piriton in my FA kit for those times someone has an new allergic reaction.
OP plummet 03 Apr 2013
In reply to plummet: Ok cheers folks, tht's all helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...