UKC

Family ski holiday start of November?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 06 Apr 2013
Evening all,
random well in advance question.

Wife coming back from Afghanistan end of October, was going to go to New Zealand for 6 weeks but decided to save that trip until we have another small creature and she is on maternity leave so we can do 4 months instead :0)

So then, never been skiing in November, always been Feb/March time in Europe so is it a decent enough time to go and where abouts?

Would want a self catering affair, don't want to travel further than Europe and will be for 2 weeks. Both intermediate skiers and our 3 year old can slide down a hill on a tray.

Any advice welcomed. Den

PS, was thinking

3 valleys
Solden
Val Thorens
 andy 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: There'll be no lifts open anywhere non-glacial. Very limited options until mid-late December.
OP Denni 06 Apr 2013
In reply to andy:

Cheers mate, figured as much and would want to avoid the glacial resorts.
Will have to think of something else, may persuade her to go back to Banff!
 Aigen 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: Stubai Glacier.
 bigpad 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: its a little early
 blurty 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

It depends on the weather, Morzine opened at the end of October about 3 yrs ago. It's not something you could book in advance though.
 andy 07 Apr 2013
In reply to blurty:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> It depends on the weather, Morzine opened at the end of October about 3 yrs ago. It's not something you could book in advance though.

Did it? Who ran the lifts? I thought one of the reasons resorts opened when they did and closed when they did is the fact that the lifties are all doing something else. I know Avoriaz closed last year with tons of snow on the ground because most of the staff had gone to do other stuff and of course there was nobody except locals there to ski (and they've all got season passes so no money to be made).

We've been to Morzine the last couple of years and both years Avoriaz has opened early on the 1st weekend in December, and looking back the earliest they've opened anything is the last weekend in November, which was 2008, so it's definitely more than three years ago.

I think you're stuck with glaciers in Europe until December, unfortunately.
OP Denni 07 Apr 2013
In reply to andy:

Figured I'd have to go the glacial route Andy, cheers for the reply.
Thought there may have been some secret open early resort!
 Martin W 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: I remember when I was living in Turin in the 1980s, Sestriere spent a lot of money one summer on snow-making equipment and advertised "guaranteed" skiing for the upcoming Tutti Santi (All Saints' Day) holiday ie 1st November. A number of my colleagues recounted how they spent they day up there sunbathing and admiring the lovely rainbows made by the water spraying out of the 'snow' cannons. The only people making money on equipment hire that day were the folks renting deck chairs.
 Trangia 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

You take a big gamble with snow in November. I once went mid November to Val Thorens. It was the "early bird" week when a limited number of lifts open if there is snow. I was lucky as I arrived to no snow, but it started snowing the night I arrived and two days later a limited number of lifts and pistes were open. Great skiing and no lift queues, but as I say, I was very lucky.

If you do go then take your walking boots, so if there is no snow you will at least have something to do....
OP Denni 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Trangia:

Cheers again folks for all the replies.
Had a chat with the wife, anyone been to Levi at the start/mid november?
 TobyA 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

> Had a chat with the wife, anyone been to Levi at the start/mid november?

I've not, but I think it's quite likely to be too early except for exceptional seasons. People often go skiing for Independence day, but that's a month later than you're talking about (6 Dec).

It's hard to know but a couple of year back they had to cancel some world cup race that was meant to be the season opener because Levi didn't have snow in December.

Also likely to be cold if there is snow; fine for adults less great for little 'uns, although I'm sure they like the reindeer and Father Christmas stuff.
OP Denni 09 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers Toby. Just noticed they have the world cup planned mid November so even more expensive!
Not too fussed about the cold, was hoping to get the small creature skiing, maybe see the Northern lights and all that.
 TobyA 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

> Cheers Toby. Just noticed they have the world cup planned mid November so even more expensive!

But it suggest perhaps I'm being pessimistic about the likelihood of snow then. As I say, when they had to cancel it, it was big news, so maybe there is snow there more often than not. I'm sure some googling might reveal a record of when their season starts.

November is a gloomy month, although its much less a problem when its snowy.
 elliewellie 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: My partner and I skied in Ruka, Finland in November last year and it was awesome. Lovely snow due to snow making and although the days were short the slopes were all lit. Here's their website: http://www.ruka.fi/winter_eng/slopes/ We had to change flights in Helsinki (which might be a bit of a pain). Great, cheap accommodation (with own sauna) and good grub. I would totally recommend it.

It was an interesting random place to ski and great for intermediates and really really quiet. There was quite a number of people out training on nordics and some other pretty damned good down-hill skiers using the place as a training ground but not even a hint of a queue for any lifts. It did feel cold though due to the lack of any warming sun.

Ellen
OP Denni 10 Apr 2013
In reply to elliewellie:

Hi Ellen,
thanks for that, sounds and looks great. Just the sort of place we would like to go.
Not too fussed about the cold, for some bizarre reason, our daughter prefers it colder. Bit of a bummer when you live 2 mins walk from the beach!
Thanks again, Den
OP Denni 10 Apr 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby,
have had a scan around and it seems that there is snow more often than not which seems promising. I'll of course come back to you if it all goes tits up....

I know what you mean about November being gloomy, we used to part own a Rorbu in Svolvær and for some bizarre reason always ended up there in November. The town didn't really know whether to stay open or shut! Still, we always saw loads of Orca and were always feeding the Eagles, good days :0)
 TobyA 10 Apr 2013
In reply to elliewellie: you can get to Korouoma for ice climbing pretty easily from Ruka too if its cold enough, and I know people do ice climb there in November quite often.
MaxWilliam 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

Saas-Fee and Zermatt are potentially good options.
 elliewellie 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: Somehow it felt colder I think because it was early season and we weren't acclimatized fully Really cool place to go though and nice an close to Santa-land for your daughter. We stayed here: http://www.ruka.fi/to_eng/?file=booking_exec&id=1062&mode=1&rst...

Ellen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...