UKC

How to toughen my feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DreadyCraig 07 Apr 2013
I have a real problem with blisters when running. I tend to get them in exactly the same places, the most common is in the instep of my right foot. I have tried using different trainers double layer socks, two pairs of socks, plasters, etc.
I have figured I just need to toughen up the skin on my feet. Any suggestions on how to do this?
 kwoods 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: Was going to suggest changing footwear but sounds like you've got everything covered already. How about taking down the intensity of each individual day - I usually find I can go a certain amount before the skin starts rubbing off. I walk, not run but I guess it's the same principles. A couple days of going just short of my feet falling apart, and the skin starts to toughen up. I've mostly had problems on my two pinky toes since they curl under my 4th toe a bit.

I've always punctured the blister with a pin hole, drained the fluid, then left to heal maybe with a plaster or compeed. This seems to help develop calluses if the blisters have been allowed to go too far and create pain. I've never tried to preempt them.

Hope thats some help
 lost1977 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig:

spend as much time as possible with shoes and socks off
Removed User 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: Dab your feet with surgical spirit, it also works on nipples!
 kwoods 07 Apr 2013
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to DreadyCraig)
>
> spend as much time as possible with shoes and socks off

Ditto. Works wonders, just don't let anyone see you
 Banned User 77 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserDreadyCraig) Dab your feet with surgical spirit, it also works on nipples!

It cracks and gives sores.

I just ran 100km and had one blister. Just vaseline feet.. where correct fitting shoes and socks.
OP DreadyCraig 07 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
100 km, holy crap! I've never run more than 13 miles.
Never thought of using vaseline on my feet, I do use it to stop my thighs chaffing.
Walking round barefoot now, reminds me of when I practised karate many years ago, I used to take the skin off my feet every week being barefoot, then they hardened up and it stopped happening.
 wbo 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: Also try very thin socks like the Nike running socks (2 pairs in a £10 pack). Getting the right sock is a very personal thing, but thick or double layer socks are the ruin of me
 chris687 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig:

Prevention being better than cure I suggest using tough zinc-oxide tape to cover the area before running. If you have a particularly long route planned then I suggest putting the tape on the night before so that it "sets" properly and doesnt peel off. Strappal tape works for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strappal-Zinc-Oxide-Tape-2-5cm/dp/B001FZYHYY/ref=sr...
 chris687 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig:
or this stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leukoplast-Zinc-Oxide-Tape/dp/B004X62XDY/ref=pd_sim...

and you can still try out the other stuff as well.
 Snax 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: The bible on this is Fixing Your Feet by John Vonhof. Different things work for different people. I'm lucky in that blisters are very rare for me now, Good socks and the right shoes for the conditions are very important.
OP DreadyCraig 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig:
Is zinc-oxide tape different to climbing tape?
 Banned User 77 07 Apr 2013
In reply to wbo: I've also shifted to thinner socks..
 HB1 07 Apr 2013
In reply to DreadyCraig: I see you've tried different trainers, but even so you won't have tried them all! Not that you ever will, of course, but I do know that the ONLY trainers that consistently gave me blisters were Brookes Chariots (a long time ago), so it might be the shoes. I might add that I always wear thin socks
In reply to DreadyCraig: It happens we've just published an article on UKH about blister prevention and cure: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=5286
 robthered 08 Apr 2013
Have you tried not wearing socks at all? I used to get quite bad blisters but now can't remember the last one I had.

Got a bit cold during a couple of the South Wales Winter League races with snow on the tops though...
OP DreadyCraig 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Oh dear god those pictures! I was just eating.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...