UKC

Bill Bryson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Glyno 07 Apr 2013
I've read all of Bill Bryson's books (several twice), and was wondering what other author could be considered the most similar in style and with the same degree of wit?

Mark Collins 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno: Pies and Prejudice: In search of the North by
Stuart Maconie is very good so far, and in a similar vein. I'm half way through as we speak.
Clauso 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno:

L. Ron Hubbard.
 AdrianC 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno: Not entirely similar but you could try Christopher Brookmyre.
OP Glyno 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins:

yes, read that ...and Maconie's other books as well as those by Mark Radcliffe.

Thanks all the same!
OP Glyno 07 Apr 2013
In reply to AdrianC:
> (In reply to Glyno) Not entirely similar but you could try Christopher Brookmyre.

oooh... going to google
Jackie Magpie 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Try Tim Moore - some brilliantly funny travel writing. French Revolutions is particularly good.
 Chris Harris 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Pete McCarthy perhaps?
 Darron 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno:
case you didn't know BB has had at least one book published only in USA that you may be able to find via web. I think the one I've got is called "I'm a stranger here myself' It's a series of articles that first appeared as columns in a UK paper (hence not published here). It's good.

I think 'A short history of...... ' is my favourite book.
OP Glyno 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno:

thanks all... certainly have something to be going on with.
Checking local library's online catalogue now to do some 'reserving'
OP Glyno 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Darron:
> (In reply to Glyno)
> case you didn't know BB has had at least one book published only in USA that you may be able to find via web. I think the one I've got is called "I'm a stranger here myself' It's a series of articles that first appeared as columns in a UK paper (hence not published here). It's good.
>
> I think 'A short history of...... ' is my favourite book.

I think "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" is the American title for "Notes from a Big Country" - just found it on Abe Books for 66p (+ carriage)!
 hokkyokusei 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Maybe Tony Hawks. Around Ireland with a Fridge is my favourite of his.
 hokkyokusei 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Darron)
> [...]
>
> I think "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" is the American title for "Notes from a Big Country" - just found it on Abe Books for 66p (+ carriage)!

Yes, it's the same.
 tim000 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Jackie Magpie:
> (In reply to Glyno)
>
> Try Tim Moore - some brilliantly funny travel writing. French Revolutions is particularly good.

thats a great book . read it several times , usually in june/july.

In reply to Chris Harris:
> Pete McCarthy perhaps?

Yeah, second that. McCarthy's Bar is good. Also that one where he visits the St Patrick's day celebrations of all the ex-pat Irish communities around the world -- can't remember what it's called.
In reply to Glyno: Queenan Coutry, by Joe Queenan.

Mustn't Grumble by Joe Bennet.
 Thrudge 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Jackie Magpie:
> Try Tim Moore - some brilliantly funny travel writing. French Revolutions is particularly good.

Seconded. Tim Moore can actually make you laugh out loud.

Darron 09 Apr 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:

OK. I've got the wrong title. But there is def a BB book that was published in USA (i bought it in SF) and not here.
 nigel baker 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Darron: I think.. it is called 'The Palace under the Alps', Bill Brysons first book, published in the US, but under William Bryson....I think!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...