UKC

Lifespan of a rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamesLamont 08 Apr 2013
I've just bought myself a pair of Beal Iceline 8.1 ropes. They are in great condition; I've inspected them for all the obvious bits and pieces and they seem to be as good as new! I know the guy that has sold them to me; he seldom climbs and says he hasn't ever taken a fall on them.

That aside, he's said the ropes are "about 10 years old". On the Beal website it says a rope should be retired after 10 years.

Why is this? And how long have you been using your ropes?
 JIMBO 08 Apr 2013
In reply to jamesofdeath
www.sterlingrope.com/media/document/StaticRopeCare.pdf
Most companies have a 10 year shelf life to take into account uv degradation, etc.

You can google most manufacturers and they all say the same thing, in essence...
10 years no use
5 years infrequent use
1-2 years moderate use
6 months heavy use

The Lemming 08 Apr 2013
In reply to jamesofdeath:

I eventually made a mate retire a rope after about 16 years weekly active service at a local wall when it made a funny creaking noise at the top of a route.
 muppetfilter 08 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: the creaking noise is usually chalk and can be sorted by washing.

To the OP , the materials ropes are made of are quite stable if stored in a dark,dry, room temperature environment away from the chemicals that harm them (acids, certain solvents) There is no reason if a rope has been well stored that it should deteriorate to a point it should be retired.
 A Crook 08 Apr 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:

A little note on UV.

ropes have been UV stable for some time (since mid 80's if memory serves correctly)now and the only effect is discolouration.
 muppetfilter 08 Apr 2013
In reply to A Crook: That's fantastic news, you will have a busy day ahead of you informing Beal, Edelrid, Edelweiss, New England Ropes (and others) that they have incorrect information on their websites ;0)
 A Crook 08 Apr 2013
In reply to muppetfilter:

Yes I know they still put that on their advice. strange really when the BMC have done studies into this. look at their website.

When i was doing my MIA lecture research I also found some info on other chemical effects.

My favourite was that suntan cream actually made the rope a touch stronger!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...