UKC

Best Lake District viewpoints for photography ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Haydock 08 Apr 2013
OK folks,
In order to save time tramping the fells I was wondering what is your favourite spot for taking fabulous Lake District photographs ?
Landscape or portrait, or panoramic - with your examples if possible ?
JH.
 damo5000 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Wastw*ter - fantastic!
 damo5000 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:

And seascale on the coast,
OP Jim Haydock 08 Apr 2013
In reply to damo5000:
Seascale - seriously ?
Examples ?
JH.
OP Jim Haydock 08 Apr 2013
In reply to damo5000:
Wast water is a large area and can be photographed from many places.
Have you an example ?
From where ?
 damo5000 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:
Seascale - big long jetty thing, looks good in evening light,
 Strachan 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:
The small beach at the most westerly point of Crummock Water has some amazing views, definitely worth photographing. You'd struggle to go too far wrong with the Langdales from the far side of Little Langdale, looking over the pass, or the view from the top of Pavey Ark.
 damo5000 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Wastw*ter - from memory we were at the farthest end from wasdale head, there was a bit of parking and a little island, lots of boulders in the water for foreground interest, email me and I'll reply witha pic
Removed User 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock: the view up wastewater looking towards great gable did win best view in Britain if I remember right.
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo:

IMHO, the view looking down Wastw*ter fromGreat Gable (specifically, from Westmorland's Cairn) is the finest viewpoint in the Lakes, i.e. the finest mountain viewpoint in England.
 Carolyn 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Strachan:
> (In reply to Jim Haydock)
> The small beach at the most westerly point of Crummock Water has some amazing views, definitely worth photographing.

Agreed, there's also a ledge off the path up Melbreak that gets similar fells from a higher perspective. Parts of the equivalent bit of the Buttermere shoreline has lots of potential, too.
 Tom Valentine 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:
Yewbarrow towards Scafell.
 John Kelly 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock

Langdale Pike's - Blea tarn or col on blea tarn road

Scafells - Harter fell
Chalk 09 Apr 2013
Only been there once so far, so im sure others have better places, but my fave was Derwent Water.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan1984/7889078088/in/set-72157629552156692/li...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan1984/8192765377/in/set-72157629552156692/li...

I think my best shot from the trip came from the end of Wastw*ter of the Napes though:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan1984/7851714238/in/set-72157629552156692/li...

Aira force was a nice place to visit if you like waterfalls.

Also I found seascale a nice day out, but other than the Jetty wasn't a lot to photograph. I'm sure you could get some better shots than I have if you visited at sunset, although would need to check the tide times.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan1984/7881427238/in/set-72157629552156692/li...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan1984/7875945302/in/set-72157629552156692/li...
 Michael Ryan 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk:

Great colour Chalk. Real, lifelike, not over-saturated, authentic. As well as great composition.

Appreciated.

Mick
OP Jim Haydock 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk:
Thanks for that Chalk, some nice shots there (Big stopper?)
Where is the Derwent water shot from ?
Don't think I'd make a long trip to Seascale for a jetty though !!
JH
OP Jim Haydock 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Sean Kelly:
Nice work Sean.
Particularly like the Gimmer and Castle crag shots.
Well worth the effort, nice one.
JH.
 Dan Lane 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:

Isn't half of the fun on landscape photography finding the locations for yourself, rather than copying everybody else's cliche shots? It is for me, anyway...
OP Jim Haydock 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Dan Lane:
On the contrary, I have my own locations but I disagree re copying other shots as landscapes are not just of the scene but they are also about being there at the right time and getting the lighting right.
I have seen many shots of the same scene but the ones that stand out are the ones where the light has been caught perfectly.
Chalk 20 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock: Thanks Jim. Close, it's the B&W 10 stop ND

I think the Jetty is close to the Ashness bridge car park a long the right side of the lake on the B5289. The panorama is about 200 metres further round the lake, you can see the jetty from the first shot at the edge of the frame. Probably not worth taking a long trip to Seascale just for photographs, I visited there because I felt like a day at the coast.

Completely agree about the lighting. No matter how good/bad the composition is, the right light is what makes the photo... I just wish I had more motivation to get out of bed at 5am to catch it
OP Jim Haydock 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk:
lol - know what you mean about the early starts
Thanks also for the info, I have looked at the same area but the weather was crap but imagined what it would be like.
I love Derwentw*ter area, great for good shots, weather permitting.
JH.
Green-Winged Orchid 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Dan Lane: I suppose photographing Buchaille Etive Mor is the equivalent of a climbing test piece. Can't ignore it. You do your take on it and see how it compares.

Jimdog: get a good shot of Liathach for me when you're in Torridon (across the loch) and I will hang it on my wall.
OP Jim Haydock 13 May 2013
Jimdog: get a good shot of Liathach for me when you're in Torridon (across the loch) and I will hang it on my wall.

Will do pal, I'll try my best.... just depends on weather etc as usual
JH.

UKActivityBreaks.com 14 May 2013
In reply to Jim Haydock:
If you like your walking and want to get some amazing photos would you consider doing a course? Check out Landscape Treks below, they do treks (day and weekend) in the Lake District where you trek out to the best spots. If you go for the weekend you camp out and get the most amazing pictures at sunrise without having to leave your tent. Well worth considering!

http://www.ukactivitybreaks.com/leicestershire/Landscape_Treks_1538.asp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...