UKC

Scarpa Manta maintenance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Easty14 11 Apr 2013
Does anybody know what the best leather feeder to be using on my Mantas is?
 Gordonbp 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Peter Eastland:
I use the Scarpa H12 cream - seems to be fine....
 Deri Jones 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Peter Eastland: The nikwax stuff that comes in a squirty tube with a foam aplicator works well. It flattens and waxes the surface a bit so you lose some of the rough finish, but soaks in well and definitely keeps the water out.
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=499
 gordo 11 Apr 2013
+1 for hs12 water beads off nicely
 inboard 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Deri Jones:
+1 for the Nicwax stuff - in fact that's what I've just been doing! Works a treat. Been using it on my mantas for the past 4 years, they're still in great condition. Also use it on shoes and bike saddle, all doing well.
MaxWilliam 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Peter Eastland:

I use the Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof, which works well if the leather is clean.
 FinrodFelagund 12 Apr 2013
In reply to MaxWilliam:
> (In reply to Peter Eastland)
>
> I use the Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof, which works well if the leather is clean.

I used for three years Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel and Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof. With these products I never managed to get the boot to a satisfactory level of waterproofness.

Now I have switched to using Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel and Grangers G-Wax. I am much more impressed with my boots' level of waterproofness.

I imagine that you can substitute Grangers G-Max Footwear Cleaner for Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel; they probably do exactly the same thing. Likewise I imagine that you can substitute Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather for Grangers G-Wax, which is what Deri Jones uses above.

Just make sure that you use wax. I find it much more effective than the runny liquid waterproofers such as Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof, Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof, Grangers Footwear Proofer, etc.
 forcan 14 Apr 2013
Interesting question - I've had my Mantas nearly 7 years now, and never used anything on them other than a stiff brush to remove dried on mud. Never had wet feet with them either. Then again, almost exclusive winter use only with a pair of Yeti Gaiters may have something to do with that...

I used G-Wax on my Scarpa Attaks, and nothing on their replacement's, Raichle Mountain Trail GTX's apart from a stiff brush.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...