UKC

A challenge to UKC. Pub, walk and camp - north Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Evening folks? I am tasked with finding a weekend away for me and two mates (and dog) for next weekend in north Wales?

We are all decent walkers but the doggie, bless her, can't handle much more than 10 miles. I don't know north Wales very well so can I get some suggestions for a good circular (not including Snowdon) somewhere in n.wales with a nice campsite and pub nearby please.

Thanks

Richard
 Mark Morris 11 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Capel Curig is your best bet, small camp site on farm, bunkhouses also, will look up the name in moment. Good pub and grub.

But, unless Snowdon is still difficult due to snow and ice, or you've done it so many times, dog can't scramble, etc. Then it's not that bad a walk from Pen y Pass. Up and down on 2 tourist paths.

If Snowdon is still that difficult, then other peaks and paths will be too. Someone will give a snow and ice clear altitude soon.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The doggie will struggle with scrambling or walking up Snowdon but thanks for the suggestions. Any more?
 sbc_10 11 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Capel Curig is a nice spot as mentioned above.
If you want to be in the Snowdonia mountains but not tackle a steep and committing ascent then try around the reservoirs just North of the A5, you can forge a circular route with a bit of nav.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=271500&y=359500&z=120&sv=T...

or do a lap of Tryfan eg. A5 to Bwlch Tryfan to Cwm Bochlwyd then back to the A5.
(scan across to the West of the street map image above for the Map)

Hope this helps.
SbC
 Ramblin dave 11 Apr 2013
Capel's a good shout - the campsite's fairly basic but the pub's nice. Moel Siabod is a nice short day out, as are the smaller eastern bits of the Carneddau - Pen Llithrig y Wrach and Pen yr Helgi Du.
 alexcollins123 11 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Could do Siabod from Capel Curig? Plenty of pubs & campsites & a good circular walk.
 winhill 11 Apr 2013

Save the dog's legs:

http://www.snowdoninn.co.uk/index.html
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: capel campsite looks good. I've had a look near there and I think model siabod looks good. Another one nearby which, whilst a slog initially, looks like a lovely ridge walk.

It starts with pen yr ole wen and then onto carnedd dafyyd then carnedd Llewelyn and finally onto pen yr Hegl du. The between the carnedds looks ok. Thoughts?
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: obviously there would be a small drive
 Ramblin dave 11 Apr 2013
That's a classic - I think it makes it into the scrambling guide, but it's basically a ridge walk. Unless you're a real connoisseur of grim slogs, make sure you go round and up the east ridge of Pen Yr Ole Wen rather than straight up from Ogwen Cottage.

It's probably a longer day than most ways up Snowdon, though, so not sure how well the dog would deal with it...
 toad 11 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Check dogginess on the capel campsites, I've got a feeling the one near the Bryn Tych is dog free
 toad 11 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: This is a somewhat leftfield suggestion as it isn't near a pub, and isn't really in North Wales even, but the Cae Du campsite on the coast north of Aberdovey is ace. Right on the clifftop with views across the bay (and dolphins!!) You can have a fire and there are some lovely shorter walks in the mountains behind, heading eventually up to Cader Idris.
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) This is a somewhat leftfield suggestion as it isn't near a pub, and isn't really in North Wales even, but the Cae Du campsite on the coast north of Aberdovey is ace. Right on the clifftop with views across the bay (and dolphins!!) You can have a fire and there are some lovely shorter walks in the mountains behind, heading eventually up to Cader Idris.

I'll check this out tomorrow as caddie idris is on my to do list.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: blinkin spell correction thingy!
 toad 12 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: PS There's a Cae Du campsite near Beddgelert that comes up first in Google. This isn't the one I mean!
 Tall Clare 12 Apr 2013
In reply to toad:

Definitely no dogs allowed there - the owner went apoplectic with some friends who popped by to see us, with their dog staying in their van!
 toad 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: To clarify - you mean the Capel Curig sites? I've done a week at Cae Du with a dog
 Tall Clare 12 Apr 2013
In reply to toad:

The Bryn Tyrch site.
 Banned User 77 12 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Thats good.. there is a slight scramble up the nose of Helgi Du.

A nice loop is Moel Eilio.. from Llanberis, you can then head along the ridge for as long as you want.. finishing down cwm brynnog after Moel Cynghorion.

That would be around 10 miles. But if the dog is struggling you can head down foel goch or maes gwm..
 Banned User 77 12 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK: In fact the Carneddau loop has 3 scrambles.. east ridge of PYOW.. descent above Craig Yr Ysfa and up PyHD, the dog may struggle.. but they are short and you can pass the dog up or down the steeper bits..
In reply to IainRUK: Its a cocker spaniel so between the three of us, we should be OK.

Which of these campsites would be best recommended? Anyone know which are dog friendly and which are nearest the pub?

Thanks

Richard

> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> Which of these campsites would be best recommended? Anyone know which are dog friendly and which are nearest the pub?
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

Try this.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=capel%20curig&by=...

Hmm, struggling now with campsite which are happy with dogs. I found one but all reviews seem to suggest that its a bit crap.

Any thoughts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...