UKC

Greatest sporting moments?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
As someone who enjoys most sports i was thinking about some of the best sporting moments i have witnessed? There is that Beckham goal, Wilkos last minute drop kick and John Barnes world cup dribble- fest but for me the most spectacular sporting moment showing a class above anything else and displaying something which will never be repeated is this.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=M3C7I5lRZII&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DM...

Can you think of one better.

Postmanpat 13 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Frans Klammer's gold medal downhill run at Innsbruck 1976. He was so close to the edge that his coach actually radioed ahead to tell the team at the bottom that he'd fallen.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=sYj9kIxAL_o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Ds...
 Blue Straggler 13 Apr 2013

Do we have to have witnessed them happening live?
In reply to Blue Straggler: no rules other than it has to be geat. I saw all these on telly whilst they happened but i guess i was lucky.
 Alan M 13 Apr 2013

Witnessed Champions League Final 2005 :-D

not witnessed but I would guess the Lions tour of South Africa in 1974 would be up there not just for the sporting achievement but for what it also represented at the time.
 Chay 13 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Agree with the Beckham goal, WIlko and O'Sullivan but I'd probably say Wiggins winning the yellow jersey; I guess not a moment though.

Failing that, the premier league ending last season. Aguero's winner when everyone was waiting to celebrate united. I hate city though.

C
In reply to Postmanpat: crikey, how did he stay upright. Ive never seen that clip but great viewing.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The 800 metres final at last year's Olympics. Astonishing stuff.

T.

Look at him praying and crying at 2.51 then crossing himself at 5.01

Typical commentary, talking as if Rafter doesn't even exist...guess this is from the BBC then! Rafter does have a facial expression that says "it's over already, there's no way I'll break this serve"

youtube.com/watch?v=_hECNfj5G_s&

Agassi's triumph over Ivanisevic in 1992 was equally epic but I like this better because it had been brewing so long.

Maybe doesn't answer the OP's request for "something which will never be repeated", I suppose.

That might have to be Senna winning the Brazilian GP in the rain with his car stuck in 6th gear or whatever it was that happened there
In reply to Chay:
> I guess not a moment though.
>

I don't know if the OP really meant "a single moment" but I'll leave him to confirm that!
In reply to Blue Straggler: Botham and Willis at Headingley 1981
 sbc_10 13 Apr 2013

The Rumble in the Jungle...surely it eclipses 99% of all other great sporting moments.
Round eight and Harry Carpenter on the mic.
"..and I don't think Foreman is going to get back up"
"Oh my God He's won the title back at 32"

Incredible.
 stewieatb 13 Apr 2013

Wiggo's Tour last year. It was an incredible three weeks, but if I had to pick a single moment, I would say the final TT: imperious, confident and fast as f*ck.

2000 Olympics, men's coxless pair. This race is embedded in the collective memory of rowers the world over. The French pair attacked at 750m to go and caught the entire pack napping, went from 5th to a clear-water lead at 500m to go, and managed to hang on for victory. Many regard this as the greatest International rowing race of recent years.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Michael Johnson winning the 200m in the 1996 Olympics - I couldn't believe my eyes.

Ryan Giggs' goal against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semi-final reply - a brilliant goal in any game, but to win a match like that - wow!
 plyometrics 13 Apr 2013

Personally:

The nandrolone infused 100m at Seoul.

Anything featuring Eubank and Benn.

Terje Haakonsen on peak 7601.

Mo Farah London 2013.
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) Michael Johnson winning the 200m in the 1996 Olympics - I couldn't believe my eyes.
>
> Ryan Giggs' goal against Arsenal in the 1999 FA Cup semi-final reply - a brilliant goal in any game, but to win a match like that - wow!

Two really good choices

To which I'd add- usain bolt winning the 100m final in Beijing, and breaking the world record, despite easing off 10m short of the finishing line.

And another united one, from the same year as the giggs goal- injury time in the CL final, 0-1 becomes 2-1 inside 2 minutes...
Bingers 13 Apr 2013

John Frain scoring in the 93rd minute at Wembley in 1997.

For the uninitiated, League Two play off final, Northampton Town against Swansea (whatever happened to them). Retaken free-kick, straight in, 1-0.

One of the best moments of my life.
 coinneach 13 Apr 2013

" That Beckham goal " which salvaged a draw ( at home ) against Greece.

England went on to meet Brazil in the quarters at the finals and blew it even playing against 10 men for the last half hour.
 coinneach 13 Apr 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Call yourself a fan.......................?

youtube.com/watch?v=WYKp2KkAHKw&

eugeneth 13 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: the greatest cricket ODI of all time youtube.com/watch?v=DFEIV9aT1x8&
In reply to coinneach:
> (In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs)
>
> Call yourself a fan.......................?
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=WYKp2KkAHKw&
>
>
>

year before i was born...

but if we widen it to all time, then there's pele scoring two in the WC final age 17, and that one...

:-D

gregor

ps dont want to jinx us, but its looking good this year...

sbc_10 13 Apr 2013

Well, as a colleague at work continually reminds me of the greatest moment in football, this one is for him.

Jimmy Glass, 1999, the goal that kept Carlisle in the football league.
94th minute of the last match of the season, and for those who do not know the story, Jimmy Glass was the Carlisle goalie. Talk about cutting it fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=KejwqhLDeOs&
 coinneach 13 Apr 2013

Last week's final was sooooooo Thistle.

Came up with the goods midweek and today though.............

SPL's better than the pawnbroker's cup

Firhill for thrills!

coinneach 13 Apr 2013
In reply to coinneach:

And did you realise that tomorrow is the 12th anniversary of the double promotion day?

tim000 13 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: steve redgraves 5th gold
youtube.com/watch?v=757K1Ih0ug8&
In reply to sbc_10:

That is fantastic, actually weirdly moving to watch! Thanks
 Chris the Tall 13 Apr 2013
From personal experience :
Tranmere 4 Southampton 3

Though the following comes close:
Tranmere 4 Wolves 3

(the latter was less significant, but had a brilliant last minute goal by Morrisey)
 Skip 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Alan M:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> Witnessed Champions League Final 2005 :-D
>
This is the one.

MF2005 13 Apr 2013

Billy Bland's 13.53 for the Bob Graham round in 1982?
Or Kenny Stuarts 1:25:34 for the Ben Nevis race in 84.
Neither of those will ever fall!
In reply to coinneach: Nope, that goal that brought DB to the attention of the footballs masses at Manu U, from the half way line.
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013

I thought you said sporting moment?

Snooker isn't a sport. Come on. It isn't, no more than darts is, or motor racing.
In reply to Tim Chappell:
>
>
> I thought you said sporting moment?
>
> Snooker isn't a sport. Come on. It isn't, no more than darts is, or motor racing.

If motor racing isn't a sport, how about bobsleigh and its variants, all versions of downhill ski-ing, sailing etc?
Just wondering what's allowed, you see.
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Motor racing involves an engine. In a sport, you are the engine, yourself.

Or your horse

Snooker and darts are pub games, and damn good ones too. Just not sports. Is dominoes a sport? Of course it isn't. There you are then
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013

PS The Flintoff runout of Ponting, the Oval, 2009.
 subalpine 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: archery? golf etc?
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
In reply to subalpine:

n reply to subalpine:

Archery is definitely a sport, and a noble and ancient one too.

And golf is royal and ancient.

And all blood sports are sports.

I'd love to disqualify boxing because I think it's horrible, but I doubt I can. Boxing is a sport. It's in the Iliad as such
>
>
> I thought you said sporting moment?
>
> Snooker isn't a sport. Come on. It isn't, no more than darts is, or motor racing.

Rubbish

Noun
An activity involving physical exertion or skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013

By that definition, two businesses competing for the same contract are engaged in a sport. So, rubbish yourself.
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Motor racing involves an engine. In a sport, you are the engine, yourself.
>

I think ski-ing involves a motor to get them to the starting point :-P
What about no-limits freediving? A weighted sled to drag you to depth, and a lift balloon to return you to the surface. Is that a sport?
What about static apnea?
Is "goading easy targets on UKC" a sport or a bloodsport?
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
> [...]
>
>
> I think ski-ing involves a motor to get them to the starting point :-P
> What about no-limits freediving? A weighted sled to drag you to depth, and a lift balloon to return you to the surface. Is that a sport?
>
Is it competitive? If not, then it's definitely not a sport, it's a leisure time activity.

What about static apnea?

What's that?
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
> Is "goading easy targets on UKC" a sport or a bloodsport?

either way I enjoy it
In reply to Tim Chappell: come on, that's stretching it a little?

Rifle shooting at the winter olympics, shotgun at the olympics, bowls, curling woudl all be excluded.
> [...]
> Is it competitive? If not, then it's definitely not a sport, it's a leisure time activity.
>

There is no one-on-one aspect to it but people do get national and world records in it on individual attempts. It is not included in freediving competitions per se.

>
> What about static apnea?
>
> What's that?

Holding your breath, staying still floating face down in a pool. I kid you not. I once had to video someone doing this in competition as she was aiming for a national record and in those cases the officials need proof. I thought "might as well just take a still photo - looks the same".
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) come on, that's stretching it a little?

What's stretching what a little?

> Rifle shooting at the winter olympics, shotgun at the olympics, bowls, curling woudl all be excluded.

Would they? By what? I'd say those are all sports.

If snooker were ancient would it suddenly qualify as a sport?
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013

So there's a competitive aspect to both. So I think they're probably sports.
> [...]
>
> What's stretching what a little?

The business analogy I think.

Are you drunk?
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
>
> If snooker were ancient would it suddenly qualify as a sport?

It is ancient. So no.
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
> [...]
>
> The business analogy I think.
>
> Are you drunk?

Not at all; are you?
 Pyreneenemec 13 Apr 2013

Not actually a sporting moment, but I have never been so moved as to when that young lad started to sing 'Jerusalem', solo and a capella, at the London Olympics Opening ceremony. It's something he'll be able to treasure for the rest of his life.
Tim Chappell 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

That's a sporting moment! Of sorts.

One personal favourite in the "of sorts" category is the colossal drunken roar from Headingley in 2005 that meant that the umpires had decided to abandon play because of bad light, so the test was drawn, so we'd won the Ashes
 The New NickB 13 Apr 2013

I have never been so proud as well 80,000 people joined together to bow George Osbourne at the Paralympics!

Armstrong winning his first tour. Obviously we now know the reality of this, but it was a great moment at the time.

Also Federer vs Nadal in Wimbledon 2008 final. Probably the best sporting event I've ever seen in terms of the quality of sport on display. Two greats at the top of their game fighting tooth and nail for every single point.
In reply to The New NickB:

predictive text has *really* let you down there Nick...

In reply to eugeneth:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) the greatest cricket ODI of all time youtube.com/watch?v=DFEIV9aT1x8&

Saw the Aussie score, got on a plane so didn't see the result, sat next to a Saffer, said sorry mate the Cons won, he corrected me. Was made up for the whole flight

redsonja 14 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Red Rum's 3rd grand national win
 The New NickB 14 Apr 2013

Shit, can't even delete now!
 Tom Valentine 14 Apr 2013
>
> Motor racing involves an engine. In a sport, you are the engine, yourself.
>
As BS said, that rules out all winter sports where gravity provides the motive force.
Apart from that, I think a lot of people on UKC who consider themselves fairly athletic would struggle to meet the physical demands of driving a Formula One car at full tilt for 90 minutes.
Anyway, in spite of that;

Ricardo Villa, Wembley 1981
Waletr Rohrl, Pikes Peak 1987
Martin Offiah, Wembley 1994

Tim Chappell 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Tom, I said "engine", not "motive force". Can you really not see the difference between those two things?

Or are you, like me, just on the wind-up?
mgco3 14 Apr 2013

Surely if you ask anyone north of Gretna Green they will they will tell you it was England Winning the World Cup in 66..

"Ducks quickly below the parapet"
 Trevers 14 Apr 2013

youtube.com/watch?v=VsLX2Uen2dc&
The actual 'moment' is kind of lame but I've rarely seen such a dramatic last couple of laps
Clauso 14 Apr 2013

Ian Heaps angling his way to the World Freshwater Championship in Poland in 1975. Maggoty magic.

> youtube.com/watch?v=JYASMgtuFrA&

This. The greatest ever coming back after six years off the track, something like fourteen days after leaving prison.

jcm
 Tom Valentine 15 Apr 2013
I think I understand the difference. Speaking of wind-ups, would a large clockwork motor be allowed in your scheme of things? My Meccano set had a brute of a thing which you couldn't stop with your hands once released.
 wheelo 15 Apr 2013
1979 british gp sheene v roberts and of course gareth edwards baba try....
 LRB 15 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Pyreneenemec)
>
> That's a sporting moment! Of sorts.
>
> One personal favourite in the "of sorts" category is the colossal drunken roar from Headingley in 2005 that meant that the umpires had decided to abandon play because of bad light, so the test was drawn, so we'd won the Ashes

Do you mean The Oval? I was there, highlights of the final day include:

Giving Glenn McGrath a load of abuse whilst he was fielding the boundary about his 5-0 prediction only for him to take 2 wickets in 2 balls and come right back to field the same boundary the following over, gave us all a cheeky wink, fair play to him

KP's 158

Gilo's 59

The girl with massive norks and a low cut top running to get a light from her friend, cue a genious shout from someone in the crowd 'only two bouncers an over love'

Winning!

LRB 15 Apr 2013
In reply to LRB:

Also, R Giggs semi final goal against Arsenal, Gazza's goal against Scotland in Euro 96 and the dentist chair celebration afterward. I'd have to include the 1999 Champs league win too!

Certainly not great but memorable will always be Senna's final moments, tragic.
 Alyson 15 Apr 2013
In reply to LRB: Cricket-wise the greatest moment I have ever seen was Devon Malcolm's 9-57 against South Africa at The Oval in 1994. I remember the crowd singing the Dambusters music every time he ran in to bowl.

I'm pretty sure it still stands as the most devastating spell of fast bowling in cricketing history.
In reply to Alyson: Harmison's 7-12 against the Windies in 2004 was pretty devastating. Was driving back from Ratho listening to it, barely got off the A720 before it was all over
 Owen W-G 15 Apr 2013
Goran Ivanisevic winning 2001 Wimbledon as wildcard
 Mike-W-99 15 Apr 2013
Gemmill taking the dutch defence apart.
youtube.com/watch?v=d1axsnMRbbo&
 Banned User 77 15 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: 1999 and United's 2 lat goals.. Aguerro's league title winning strike last year...
 Phil1919 16 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Stephen Roche on the mountain stage when he pegged back Delgado, and eventually won the Tour. During the days when they couldn't follow every step of the race. It came as a bit of a surprise to the commentators. I guess there were drugs involved however as it was a cycle race.....
 Andy Farnell 16 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: lets exclude anything involving the mancs. Since when have they ever been 'sporting'. Roy Keane ffs.

Andy F
 Banned User 77 16 Apr 2013
In reply to andy farnell: He's Irish..

Liverpudlians have such a proud footballing heritage...

Care to explain why British teams were banned from European football?
cb294 16 Apr 2013

Wilfried Dietrich lifting Chris Taylor in the Greco-Roman Heavyweights at the Munich Olympics.

http://olympia.ard.de/london2012/geschichte/olympiamomente101_page-7.html

Unbelievable.

CB
 Sam Ash 16 Apr 2013
Only counting moments I witnessed (either in person or on the telly), the two that will really stick with me are Wilko's drop goal and this youtube.com/watch?v=Y7qFSHc0tcA&

Never thought I'd see us manage it ever. And for us to hang with the big teams for a year, doing the double over Liverpool, beating Spurs away, I'll never forget it.
 Banned User 77 16 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: The one I actually saw was Zidannes volley at Hampden.. I was stood right behind him.. stunning.
 earlsdonwhu 16 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Di Canio's volley vs Wimbledon ( right behind flight of the ball)
Seeing live England stuff the All Blacks this season
Seeing live Olympic 100m final.... even though it lasted only 10 secondsish for intense drama it was immense.
 Dan Arkle 16 Apr 2013
In reply to cb294: Wilfried Dietrich lifting Chris Taylor

Wow, thats amazing, video link here youtube.com/watch?v=8i85w6Vc710&
 MikeTS 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Note the silver winner, Peter Norman. He was white, from Australia, helped them with their salute, and wore a badge of support. He was then ostracised by the Australian Olympic organisation. Both Smith and Carlos gave eulogies and were pallbearers at his funeral.
His time of 20.06 seconds still stands as the Australian 200 metres record nearly 50 year later
He is one of my heroes.
 Fat Bumbly2 17 Apr 2013
2nd best: youtube.com/watch?v=vHZWyMFgM80&

Best moment ever: youtube.com/watch?v=z-ze42I6NEo& Ricky George's winner.

Removed User 17 Apr 2013
In reply to MikeTS:

Yes, I read an article about him recently in one of the papers. A really sad and shameful story re the way he was treated, very remarkable man.
 JCurrie 17 Apr 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
Thanks for reminding me about this.
Jase
Love 17 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I can't believe I wasted seconds of my life going to view that. I turned it off even before the reds were broke
 Gturner71 17 Apr 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Jonny wilkinsons drop goal against australia, making England world champions in 2003

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...