UKC

Ben Nevis tourist path. Conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cadairmanuk 14 Apr 2013
Good afternoon. Just thinking of heading up the Ben tomorrow. Anyone had a rabble up today or yesterday. I know wind and rain possible whiteout conditions will possibly be in store and navigating the Plato requires concentration. I have been on the ben a few times but alway in good weather. Avalanche is my other concern. Any advise on an accent via the tourist way in the current conditions would be appritiated.

Ben
 Alpenglow 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: I descended that way on Wednesday, there was no snow below the half way lochan, the tourist path disappeared about half way up the zig-zags under neve. You could really do with crampons after that.

I know that this was about half a week ago, but this may be of some use.

BR
OP Cadairmanuk 14 Apr 2013
In reply to blackreaver: Thanks. We have full winter kit, crampons and axes. Was the a path carved out in the snow?

Ben
 Welsh Kate 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:
I always find that navigating Plato requires concentration, it's one of the reasons I never really liked Greek philosophy
 Alpenglow 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: There was a distinguishable path until about 3/4 of the way up the zig-zags. We just did Number 5 Gully and walked off the tourist path, so we didn't summit. There was no path on the plateau from what I can remember. With crampons, which you have you should be fine.
You can just take a bearing when you reach the plateau, but watch out for gardyloo gully!

BR
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Ha ha iphone predictable texting.
In reply to blackreaver:

Thanks Mate. Good info.
andrew breckill 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: in years past there has been a very definite path down red burn, walked up that a few times in white out conditions, hard slog but you cant really go wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...