UKC

El Chorro middle of May?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So me and the girlfriend are looking at getting away for a weeks climbing in El Chorro, last year i was out there in April and had an amazing time with perfect conditions never too hot or too cold.
It was hot in the shade but no so hot that climbing was becoming difficult, i was curious on people opinions of climbing in the middle of May?

Any recommendations of crags with decent grade spread and shade if required last time i was out we stuck to frontales,and a couple of crags behind the main range maybe half hours drive, i cant place the name at the moment.

Also any advice on hire cars? and how to get the best deals on flights?

JayK 14 Apr 2013
In reply to pymn nice but dim:

Check out record rent a car.

Best crag in May is probably Desplomilandia. With lots of top 50 grade 6's!
 johnmctighe 16 Apr 2013
In reply to pymn nice but dim:

Hi Guys,
I'll be spending the entire month of May in El Chorro, staying at the Olive Branch.
I'm with my wife and son - neither are climbers
So If anyone is looking for a partner at any stage from may 7 to june 2 give me a shout ...
I'll have rope, draws etc & a hire car.
Last year in El Chorro I lead at 5+ and 2nded at 6a+ so hopefully will be pushing these grades a bit more this time.
I especially want to get up Amptrax as I bailed after 2 pitches last year.
Cheers,
John
 OliBangbala 16 Apr 2013
In reply to johnmctighe: It will be pretty damn hot in may! I was there last year for two weeks and it was too hot to climb during the day (although we didnt have a car so couldnt get up to the higher, cooler crags..) we got stuff done either first thing in the morning or late in the evening but from 12 til 6 it was too hot to do anything but enjoy the sun.

John, i would definately reccomendf being comfortable at 6a/6a+ before getting onto amptrax, ive done it twice and nearly had an epic both times, its a lot of work! (but well worth to top out on the crag)

I might be at the Olive branch around that time so i will give you a shout when i know for sure

Oli
 OliBangbala 16 Apr 2013
In reply to OliBangbala: Saying that, we also didnt try any routes in the gorge but it would be cooler and more shaded there
 johnmctighe 16 Apr 2013
In reply to OliBangbala:

"John, i would definately reccomendf being comfortable at 6a/6a+ before getting onto amptrax, ive done it twice and nearly had an epic both times, its a lot of work! (but well worth to top out on the crag)"

Dead right - It scared the hell out of me last time which is why we bailed after the 2 5+ pitches. Also the Cervezas the night before certainly didn't help.
As Baldric says - I have a cunning plan though - I'll bring a few nuts on my harness. I remember climbing up beside a lovely crack with loads of gear placements and the next bolt about 2m above.
Seriously though - I won't be going near it for a while until I've nailed a few single-pitch 6s.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...