UKC

Panorama tonight, undercover North Korea

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 15 Apr 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22144667

Might be interesting...
 rallymania 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

will set it to record when i get home, thanks!
 Offwidth 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

Glad its still on. I'd have thought that with the stink from Libya still around LSE might have been wiser not lecturing the BBC about how to handle foreign affairs.
OP Denni 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I think it will be interesting although no matter what is shown it will no doubt be misleading, disproportionate, staged or otherwise to some of our fellow UKCers determined to prove North Korea is being bullied by the world.
 Offwidth 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: I think NK is being bullied by the world (but necessarily so as they wont respond to diplomacy)!
 seankenny 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Looks like LSE has been caught on the hop and has decided to blame the BBC for its ills.
 pneame 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> I think it will be interesting although no matter what is shown it will no doubt be misleading, disproportionate, staged or otherwise to some of our fellow UKCers determined to prove North Korea is being bullied by the world.

A bit like this.....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/03/13/north-korean-p...
OP Denni 15 Apr 2013
In reply to pneame:

Bump, on soon!
 Dominion 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:

Just watched it, it's available on iPlayer for a while, and I believe Panorama documentaries are available to see online for a year after release.

I note that Private Eye this week mentions the involvement of the LSE with Gaddafi's Regime and it's lack of embarrassment from getting huge donations from Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, and expresses faux shock and horror at an investigative programme like Panorama getting out there and doing some investigative journalism in one of the most dangerous regimes on the planet.

Yes. the LSE might have some worries about it's students, but having watched the documentary, I'm far more worried about the safety of all of the North Korean Tour guides, and hospital staff, and so on, who might be in very, very real danger of getting killed, or imprisoned in North Korea's Gulag, Yodok Camp.

This is the society that Orwell wrote about in Nineteen-Eighty Four, described to the dot, for anyone who has actually read it, rather than just mouthing off about Britain being a "Big Brother" society.

Yes, Trey Parker and Matt Stone's Team America - World Police is funny. But not, I suspect, if you live in North Korea, where Orwell's fiction is reality, and you face starvation, indoctrination, and imprisonment or death if you dare to criticise.

Journalism of the Year, I suspect, something that the LSE should be embarrassed about trying to get banned,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22161792

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t14n

Gudrun 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Dominion:

> Journalism of the year

Is that what you are calling this?

Did you notice how he said when Yeltsin withdrew help the Nrth Korean's starved their people during the late 90's?

Is that accurate? No ! it's clearly untrue.The place of the uSSR was taken up by China supplying the fuel and grain but then they faced a crop crisis of their own and could no longer send to NK.Then NK was hit by a massive natural disaster the worst floods for 70 years which completely devastated their crops for years.

But no that clown said they starved their people,fantastic journalism there.

They showed him and his group nothing and we learned nothing more about NK than we have known already for years.Oh except for some British ambassador or something saying Kim Jong-Il was a fan of Hitler..WTF?

Oh yeah and the 2 kids he seen about 30 yards away from his moving bus had to have been scavenging for food rather than playing.

The testimony of people who have fled remains damning to the regime but as Chalmers Johnston says they are a proud people who do believe in self reliance but are continually demonized by the West.The same West that murders continuously all over the world.
 off-duty 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Dominion:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> Yes. the LSE might have some worries about it's students, but having watched the documentary, I'm far more worried about the safety of all of the North Korean Tour guides, and hospital staff, and so on, who might be in very, very real danger of getting killed, or imprisoned in North Korea's Gulag, Yodok Camp.
>
>

That was what I thought. I fear for the safety of the tour guides - who I imagine will be judged on the basis that they "should have" spotted the journalists or "should have" somehow prevented the filming.
 Dauphin 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Dominion:

Not watched it but Sweeney comes across as a complete tool in that clip. Pretty bad journalism if you ask me. Here look bad country.

No doubt it's a f*cked up place. Asian imperial state taken to it's conclusion. Interested what will happen when the regime fails, mass suicides?

D
 Simon Caldwell 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Dominion:

Very poor journalism IMHO.
"That chimney doesn't have smoke coming out if it, and it looks like it hasn't for a long time" - how the feck does he know that?
In reply to Gudrun:<What they said.
The film was packed with spurious sensationalist claims.
 Keendan 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Toreador:

indeed, along with

"the factory is closed today but the military is operational, look at those anit aircraft guns" (which don't have any smoke coming out of them, like the chimney...)
 Dominion 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Toreador:

> Very poor journalism IMHO.

In comparison to what? Presumably all the other major players in news around the world have had their reporters getting into North Korea, and have produced something much more worthy.

Do you have any links from western journalists in North Korea from the last few weeks, whilst NK has been threatening pre-emptive nuclear strikes on the USA?

pneame 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: Based on the trailer / clip, that chap is parodying the parody of the NK propaganda (the one with the voiceover and americans living in tents and drinking melted snow).

I don't deny that things in NK are probably awful, but he really comes across as a complete <insert offensive descriptive word here>. No wonder the LSE aren't happy!
 birdie num num 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:
Promised loads, delivered nowt. A dreary view from a tour bus with a quick look out of an hotel window .....shite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...