UKC

Basecamp / ABC entertainment??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Caralynh 15 Apr 2013
Just looking for some ideas how to spend long cold nights at base and higher camps. Can't really carry anything heavy, since packs will be quite big enough, but does anyone have any ideas other than a pack of cards?
Thanks!
 remi_mcm 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: Have a wank? :P
OP Caralynh 15 Apr 2013
In reply to remi_mcm:

Unhelpful. Next....
 remi_mcm 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: My bad...make a song using the wrapping of cereal bars, food package etc (e.g Sing the ingredients list to the tune of you choice)
August West 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

Two packs of cards, then spend all day playing Shit-head. When you get bored of that go climbing.
 Axel Smeets 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

The card game 'Uno' has provided countless hours of entertainment for me and my mountain buddy. The size of a pack of cards and lighter than a small mammal. 6200m is our current record for an Uno bout but the game moved along very very slowly at that altitude.
 remi_mcm 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: Bananagrams, quick fun version of scrabble

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16989&...
 Robert Durran 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

Books
 remi_mcm 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: take a can of redbull and a kazoo....bound to get you some friends at basecamp :P
 koolkat 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: kindle
 mike123 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: dice, 6 each + print off rules for games from net. i ve played liar dice in various cold wet windy places around the world and never tire of it.
 koolkat 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: yes perudo great game
OP Caralynh 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

No to kindle due to fragility, weight etc, but some good ideas there, especially Uno and dice games
 Jamie Hageman 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: Yamaha make a miniature guitar called a guitalele. I bought one a while ago, it goes car-camping with me and I took it to Australia last year. I've not strapped it to a rucksack yet though, but would consider it for a long expedition. A very good instrument for fifty quid (and I've been playing guitar for over twenty years).
 mike123 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: this set of rules is over complicated for liar dice, but the rest of the site looks good, i ll try to find the rules for our version later.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dice-play/Games/LiarDice.htm
OP Caralynh 15 Apr 2013
In reply to mike123:

Cheers. Just bought Uno and pass the pigs (both childhood faves that I'd forgotten about) and also bananagrams. We'll see which make it into the bags, anything else can live in the campervan.
 Axel Smeets 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

A very wise choice. Such a good game. Brings back good memories.
 earlsdonwhu 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: Crossword book/ codewords etc.... you can spend ages mulling over one clue whereas a normal book you can whizz through.

having said that, I am becoming a Kindle convert. It's not that hard to protect them.
 Deviant 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

Remi got there before me, but masturbation should not be discounted ! Perhaps we could start a thread to discover who holds the record for self-abuse, altitude-wise ?

Other than that, learn bridge. A fantastic cerebral game and there are millions of players World-wide.
 The Lemming 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

Small chess set.
 mypyrex 15 Apr 2013
In reply to remi_mcm:
> (In reply to Caralynh) Have a wank? :P
Has anyone done it at that sort of altitude? Is it knackering?

The Lemming 15 Apr 2013
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to remi_mcm)
> [...]
> Has anyone done it at that sort of altitude? Is it knackering?

Some people may enjoy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxiation

mypyrex 15 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
>
> Some people may enjoy it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxiation

All I got was Cheyne-Stokes

Tom Last 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

Pass the Pigs
 Tom Last 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

PG Wodehouse
 Sam_in_Leeds 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

An Ipod nano must weigh practically zero and you could probably fit a lifetimes worth of podcasts in 16gb.
ice.solo 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

where and how high we talking?

for me, BC has always been endless discussions of every subject under the sun and trying to learn languages, whilst high camps is usually laying there thinking.

if youre out there long enough time becomes a sort of plastic, dilated experience thats warped in on itself, plus theres enough going on to avoid boredom most of the time.

if its somewhere like nepal or pakistan, you will probably have sunburn, bowel problems and nausea to pass the time. plus bitching about other climbers.

think of it as a soap opera starring unemployed people, with a survivor series setting.
OP Caralynh 16 Apr 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Not that high. High camp about 5500m, and in the Andes. No other climbers though, we're new routing out there, but I can see sunburn being a factor.
 SCC 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

I'd second the podcast idea - or audio books.
I got a little speaker for Xmas that charges from USB and is amazing for it's size. X1 mini or something?

Just Googled, it's the Xmini II I think. Mens you could both listen to the iPod.

Bananagrams is good but you might also need a pocket dictionary to prevent accusations of cheating!

Travel Backgammon? You can get "boards" that are printed on fabric so they're light and packable.

Enjoy - it sounds like a great trip.

Si
 mlt 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

Jews harp. Plenty of types to choose from. A very light and packable musical instrument. Good fun and good sounds if you're half decent
 hatman 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: The funnest game I know at the moment is Farkle. Its available as an App or as a dice game - I've played both versions and they are both great for different reasons. Simple rules, simple to play solo or as a small or big group. Perfect camping activity. I've played with my co-Instructors and with my students - and always enjoyable.
Just come back from 3 months fun in the Andes, would love to know where you's heading and what your plans involve. Have fun. I guess there really are people out there that think that its helpful to suggest masturbation. Amazing.
 mike123 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: i a bit perturbed by all this talk of "self gratification", if we say on a good day 8 hours sleep, surely that leaves 15 hours 58 minutes for dice etc ? or am i doing something wrong ?
OP Caralynh 17 Apr 2013
In reply to hatman:
> (In reply to Caralynh) The funnest game I know at the moment is Farkle. Its available as an App or as a dice game - I've played both versions and they are both great for different reasons. Simple rules, simple to play solo or as a small or big group. Perfect camping activity. I've played with my co-Instructors and with my students - and always enjoyable.
> Just come back from 3 months fun in the Andes, would love to know where you's heading and what your plans involve. Have fun. I guess there really are people out there that think that its helpful to suggest masturbation. Amazing.

Am part of a new routing trip, so not really appropriate to say what and where at the moment, especially since the trip organiser wouldn't tell us until we had signed up and the trip was confirmed. If we achieve any of our objectives, I'm sure I'll mention them at some point

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...