UKC

Best climbing bar in the world?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon cox 17 Apr 2013
Well having just come back from an awesome trip to Riglos, it has to be the El Puro Bar in Riglos... the hospitality of the bar run by Jose and his partner Charlie was simply unbelievable, we enjoyed countless hours shooting the breeze, drinking coffee wine and beers and checking out the local cusine in the friendly establishment (occasionally doing the odd route), but to cap it off the lovely couple cooked us a free spread and plied us with endless drinks on our last night; when we finally had to head for the airport we were being given more free bottles of wine to take with us! I BLAME those over friendly hosts for "cake bagging" my ascent of Fiesta de los Biceps! Oh well, will have to go back in the Fall, making sure I also sleep at the El Puro (the Refugio is a rather dour place). I am keen to do some climbing in Brazil and check out the routes and bars on Copacabana Beach... but what is your favorite climbing destination bar? Happy days...
pasbury 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

The balcony of the cocktail bar at the Awahnee supping tequila & Sierra Nevada while the rain poured down and my mate was paying!
 David Ponting 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: Not so much a climbers' bar but a pub; it's hard to beat the Clachaig in Glencoe! (the times I've been, the only problem has been the need to hitch back up the glen to the bunkhouse...)
 martinph78 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: Cafe Andino, Huaraz. Read nearly every copy of Rock & Ice magazine they had (which is all of them!) in there.

Great hot chocolate
Removed User 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The best after climbing bars are generally the ones without too many climbers. So places like the Clachaig are definitely out.
astley007 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User: The Moon at Stoney...when Peggy was landlady
 TimhNorthBASE 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: Freedom bar Tonsai!!
 barney800 17 Apr 2013
I've got a lot of love for the Natimuk Cafe near Arapiles. It's recently been taken over by a beer loving climber and the food (like traditional kangaroo lasagne), drinks, and atmosphere have been first rate every time I've been.
 Gturner71 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The Old Dungeon Ghyll in langdale, I have had many good nights in there then staggered back to the campsite.
 Dave Ferguson 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:
The bar at Paklenica on the corner of the road up to the national park was fab, we drank there post climbing most days and after a long day on the Anika Kuk the barman would pour us two big beers as soon as he saw us pull up. Food was great too.

In the UK a pint of Bluebird in the beer garden of the Sun in Coniston after a long day on Dow Crag is also hard to beat.
 Goucho 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The Bar Nash in Cham used to be a great place to get slaughtered (especially if celebrating another defeat of the French at table football ).

Also the Vagabond Bar at the ISM in Leysin - perfect if you fancied a 'long' smoke.

For me though, I think it has to be the Clachaig.
 Šljiva 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave Ferguson:
> (In reply to simon cox)
> The bar at Paklenica on the corner of the road up to the national park was fab, we drank there post climbing most days and after a long day on the Anika Kuk the barman would pour us two big beers as soon as he saw us pull up. Food was great too.
>
second that, Dinko's.
 Caralynh 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Clachaig, but only on a good conditions day, when most people in there have been out doing wish list routes and get down late but can still get a table since everyone else is in the same boat. Under those circumstances, it's great to drink and have the live music to top off your day. In contrast, when conditions are iffy, you get in at normal time soaking wet and knackered after not achieving your aim, and there aren't any tables since they're taken by people who haven't even tried and obviously haven't seen a hill that day, it can be a dismal place.
 Ciderslider 17 Apr 2013
In reply to sloth:
> (In reply to simon cox) The Old Dungeon Ghyll in langdale, I have had many good nights in there then staggered back to the campsite.

Likewise +1 wish they would turn the shower block lighting off at night in the campsite - people can see when I have to get up at night and shower all that recycled old rosie over my mates tent
 Morgan Woods 17 Apr 2013
In reply to TimhNorthBASE:
> (In reply to simon cox) Freedom bar Tonsai!!

I was sitting in there one day and somebody knocked off a chunk of tufa from 3 or 4 pitches up on Humanality. It pierced the metal roof like a knife through butter and landed on the floor between some tables a few feet from me :p
 Dave Cundy 17 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:
For me, it has to be the Golden Rule in Ambleside. We used to live in there during the 80s. One wet Saturday afternoon (before the all-day licensing came in) the landlord, Johnny Lockley locked up, closed the curtains and came over to us. "Now then lads, I'm off for a bath. You know how the till works". And off he went. We had to get a taxi back to Little Langdale that evening 'cos we were wasted. Happy days!
 bowls 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Again, not so much as a climbers pub but a pub in a climbing area is Y Fricsan in Cwm Y Glo just outside Llanberis. Such a shame it had to close, many late nights there followed by late starts the next day!

I guess is suffered from lack of trade in the week, but although wouldn't have won any interior design awards it had live music (plenty of!) and was always busy at weekends. Saw J Dawes in there more than once - I think he actually wrote his book from one of the caravans outside?

Would love the place to reopen in the same vein..
ice.solo 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

the rock hard cafe in rilong, sichuan. just when you think youve reached the end of the earth on the edge of the tibetan plateau, theres this little place. over the years its seen both fowlers, guy lacelle and craig luebben, lots of russians, yang dangdong and kyle dempster.

its dusty and grubby, but the guy who runs it speaks english and has the entire beastie boys collection.

may be shut now after gun fights, earthquakes and self-emoliations turned most climbers away.
 MikeTS 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

My vote is for the Office Bar in Argentiere. I also liked Rum Doodle in Kathmandu, although it's a bit touristy. And there wasa great blues bar where you sat on mattresses near there in Thamel, but can't remember its name.
 catt 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Once upon a time I'd have said the Brownswood on Green Lanes in London when Billy ran the place. Now just another soul-less gastro pub.

The Kalandraka refugio in Rodellar is great for post climb grub and drink. Massive measures of both. Amazing spot.
 Offwidth 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Crossroads in Joshua Tree was in that category but now it has new owners it has lost the magic. Great food, conversation, beer, art and characters. We once expressed our regrets that we couldn't eat there as they had to close Christmas day and ever since on our biennial trips we have been to the owner's Christmas house party.
 JMarkW 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Mostro:
> For me, it has to be the Golden Rule in Ambleside.

Used to be my local when I was at school. God I miss that place.

cheers
mark
 Morgan Woods 18 Apr 2013
In reply to catt:
>
the Brownswood on Green Lanes in London when Billy ran the place. Now just another soul-less gastro pub.
>
>

NOOOOOOO!
 cander 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Dog and Gun in Keswick in the 1970's - hang out of the Carlisle club and the west Cumberland lads - 15 people filled it, followed by a drunken drive back up Newlands in Drots van. Then they turned it into a tourist trap - sad.
 d_b 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Not strictly a bar, but the climbers cafe in Henningsvær had a good atmosphere last time I visited it.
 sparkass 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Rustys Saloon - Bishop
Square and Compass - Worth Matravers (swanage)
Palm Tree - Mile End
 Bulls Crack 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Is it the one in which you're having the most fun?
 Phil A 18 Apr 2013

Seconded... especially with the low flying swallows.

The bar of the pre-refurbished Sligachan hotel was pretty good too.
 Ramblin dave 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:
Bit of a curveball, but there's a beach shack in the quiet little bay at Mgarr ix Xini on Gozo. After a hot morning on the crags up the valley, you can head down there at lunchtime to have some lovely fresh fish (possibly from the boat that's pulled up on the quay), drink a couple of bottles of cisk, and watch your mates fail to complete the sea level traverse of the bay...
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3510
 3leggeddog 18 Apr 2013
> The bar at Paklenica on the corner of the road up to the national park was fab, we drank there post climbing most days and after a long day on the Anika Kuk the barman would pour us two big beers as soon as he saw us pull up. Food was great too.
>
> In the UK a pint of Bluebird in the beer garden of the Sun in Coniston after a long day on Dow Crag is also hard to beat.

Surely you mean the bar in Benidorm with the free shots and the exotic dancers!
wilf1 18 Apr 2013
In reply to bowls:
>
> Again, not so much as a climbers pub but a pub in a climbing area is Y Fricsan in Cwm Y Glo just outside Llanberis. Such a shame it had to close, many late nights there followed by late starts the next day!
>
> I guess is suffered from lack of trade in the week, but although wouldn't have won any interior design awards it had live music (plenty of!) and was always busy at weekends. Saw J Dawes in there more than once - I think he actually wrote his book from one of the caravans outside?
>
> Would love the place to reopen in the same vein..

A brilliant place and couldn't agree more. I saw Ted (the owner) a couple of weeks ago and it is currently being renovated and is for sale including all the bunk houses and the campsite.

I fear the live musice and 2am closing time have passed

W
 pork pie girl 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: clachaig inn
 MikeTS 18 Apr 2013
In reply to sparkass:

> Square and Compass - Worth Matravers (swanage)

Of course. Scrumpy
When I climbed there (a long long time ago) they would only sell pints of scrumpy to locals who they knew could hold it. We got halves. And rolled down the hill to our tents.
 peppermill 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The Rifleman's in Kendal seems to fill up with climbers, I would imagine it is related to the free food on Thursday nights though. Surprised none of the Sheffield pubs have had a mention yet (not the Fox House). Probably due to my student days but the Notty House in Broomhill or The Cobden View in Crookes always bring back good memories.
 CurlyStevo 18 Apr 2013
In reply to David Ponting:
I've had some good nights at the Clachaig but it really went down hill when they only started playing the traditional Scottish music for the tourists!

Best night I've had was a hill billy band, really good crowd people used to travel up from Glasgow just for a night out.... I had a great night and on the way out passing their van was offered a beer by the band and ended up chatting well in to the early hours.
 Mark Collins 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: They're all great I think, roughly in order of preference:
Clachaig Inn
Wasdale Head Inn
Stickle Barn
Old Dungeon Ghyll
Plume of Feathers, Dartmoor
Sligachan Hotel
Old Inn, Carbost
First and Last, Sennen
The Bull, Deiniolen
Cavendish Arms, Brindle
Yew Tree Inn, Anglezarke
Bob Smithy, Horwich
Golden Fleece, Tremadog
Sun Inn, Wye Valley
Little John, Hathersage
Mont Collon Hotel, Arolla
The Slaughtered Lamb
Hexen Bar, Zermatt
Kilchoan Hotel
Burgundy's Wine Bar, Kendal
Travellers Rest, Glenridding
Fish Hotel, Buttermere
The Quiet Woman, Earl Sterndale
 Mark Collins 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: Oh cr*p, not forgeting The Rock Inn, Upper Hulme.
 Mark Collins 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: How could I forget St. Govans.
Removed User 18 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Kingshouse 20+ years ago.
 thermal_t 19 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The Square and Compass - Swanage
 wkrzys 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

There's nothing bad about it, I like it. A nice chilled vibe on the beach with nice staff, but it's hardly a great bar let alone the best climbing bar in the world lol.

Also, you get a lot of posers there. . Maybe I agree with an earlier comment that the best one is probably with no climbers in it!

freemanTom 19 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: Square and Compass, Worth Matravers best pub I've ever frequented.
 Darron 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins:

If you are going for a definitive list you might want to add the Logan Rock at Treen (especially out of season)
 shantaram 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: The Bull in Deiniolen!! It must have changed a bit since I lived there. I lived in Dinorwic for 2 years in the 90's, and it was the most unwelcoming pub I've ever been to. If I wanted to go to the pub I'd walk down into Llanberis for a pint. The Bull is the closest I've been to the Slaughtered lamb experience, which I see is also on your list.
 Mark Collins 19 Apr 2013
In reply to shantaram: I'll never forget rocking up there in the early hours of Saturday after driving up from Guildford, and being welcomed into the throng by a Queen classic karaoked in a Welsh accent. That said, I never went in there again, how could I spoil such a memory.
 Mark Collins 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Darron: I can see there are plenty on here due a visit.
 kingjam 19 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Clachaig in GC gets my vote

But

after a exhausting week of climbing, when you feel broken to bits , the madness that ensues mean Choucas in Cham as a special place in my heart.
 Caralynh 19 Apr 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Ooh can I add the Marisco Tavern on Lundy? Not sure if it was just the atmosphere there one night a few yrs ago, but it was probably the best post climbing night I've ever had. Packed pub, everyone singing random stuff, Climbingpixie and myself dancing on tables on the balcony to American Pie sung by the whole pub. Leaving with a fez acquired somehow, and chalkprints on my boobs.
 Mark Collins 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh: Good call!
In reply to simon cox:

The Bishop Village Motel in CA

Invited us in for Thanksgiving, bought my new husband and I wedding gifts and finally went crazy on the hire car on our last day with 'just married' signs and cans tied on the bottom!

Sean Kelly 19 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: Can't believe this but no mention of the Vaynol in Nant Peris. Considering it would have shut down years ago without all the climbers in there on Friday & Saturday nights! I watched the moon landings there from an old b&w TV hanging above the bar!
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> Bit of a curveball, but there's a beach shack in the quiet little bay at Mgarr ix Xini on Gozo. After a hot morning on the crags up the valley, you can head down there at lunchtime to have some lovely fresh fish (possibly from the boat that's pulled up on the quay), drink a couple of bottles of cisk, and watch your mates fail to complete the sea level traverse of the bay...
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3510

I second you on that one. It is a super spot and there's a fair bit of new routing going on in the valley making it a sport climbing hot spot, but don't forget to take your trad rack as Gozo has lots to offer in that department too.
 Dave Ferguson 19 Apr 2013
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> (In reply to Dave Ferguson)
> [...]
>
> Surely you mean the bar in Benidorm with the free shots and the exotic dancers!

Not sure that one qualifies as a climbers bar, but if the one with the girls aloud tribute act was in Keswick it would be mobbed!
 Seymore Butt 19 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:
I have noticed from all the previous posts no one has mentioned whether you can get a decent pint and i mean real ale not pissy lager
 Toby Dunn 19 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The Mountain Sun in Boulder.
 BnB 20 Apr 2013
In reply to Seymore Butt:
> I have noticed from all the previous posts no one has mentioned whether you can get a decent pint and i mean real ale not pissy lager

I'm all for a nice ale but could the answer lie in the fact that it's the people, not the pint, that make the party...
estivoautumnal 20 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to simon cox) The best after climbing bars are generally the ones without too many climbers. So places like the Clachaig are definitely out.

So very true.

The Clachaig is fine for tourists who think they are getting a little bit of the Highlands.
estivoautumnal 20 Apr 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to Seymore Butt)
> [...]
>
> I'm all for a nice ale but could the answer lie in the fact that it's the people, not the pint, that make the party...

Yes you could argue that. But what kind of people would choose to go to a pub that didn't serve real ale?

I'll stick with the real ale drinkers.
 BnB 20 Apr 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:
> (In reply to BnB)
> [...]
>
>
> Yes you could argue that. But what kind of people would choose to go to a pub that didn't serve real ale?
>
> I'll stick with the real ale drinkers.

Those for whom the company is more important than the beer. That would include 95% of women for starters...
 Al Evans 20 Apr 2013
 Howard J 20 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:
I don't know about the best, but the ones I have happiest memories of include:

Vaynol Arms, Nant Peris
Ty'n y Coed, Capel Curig (before it was modernised)
Wasdale Head (ditto)
Old Dungeon Ghyll
Marisco Tavern, Lundy
Moli II, Finestrat - beer in ice cold mugs out of the freezer, and good cheap grub
Cafe Danphe, Namche Bazaar - like the bar in Star Wars!
 1234None 20 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

MIGUELS @ red river gorge has to be up there in the top 10...
 1234None 20 Apr 2013
In reply to 1234None:

And for something a bit closer to home, for me it'd be the Rising Sun, Fulwood or the red lion in litton.
 Seymore Butt 20 Apr 2013
In reply to BnB:
> (In reply to Seymore Butt)
> [...]
>
> I'm all for a nice ale but could the answer lie in the fact that it's the people, not the pint, that make the party...

people that drink real ale are the only people that make the party, not the lager louts of today drinking that foreign piss
 Misha 20 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:
Lots of great pubs mentioned above. I'd add the Bryn Tyrch in Capel Curig. Lounging on the leather sofas next to the open fire is great after a long day.

But really the mark of a memorable day out is that you've missed last orders...
 jcw 22 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The Nat(ional) in Chamonix in the time of Maurice!
In reply to jcw:

Probably the madness and most anarchic, yes Had several of the maddest evenings of my life there in 1970 and 72. But not exactly cosy
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Anyone mentioned the Climbing Cafe in Henningsvaer, Lofoten? A potential escape from the rain, a fire to dry out by, great food, great music and a magical atmosphere.

Chris
 hwackerhage 22 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Taybank in Dunkeld
 Alex Slipchuk 22 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: the sub club in Glasgow.
 Robert Durran 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:
>
> Anyone mentioned the Climbing Cafe in Henningsvaer, Lofoten? A potential escape from the rain, a fire to dry out by, great food, great music and a magical atmosphere.

And eye watering prices to make brewing up in a sodden tent seem suddenly very appealing......
 Robert Durran 22 Apr 2013
In reply to hwackerhage:
>
> Taybank in Dunkeld

Yes, though not really a "climbers' pub" but all the better for it.
For me, nothing beats the one by the Kylesku pier.

Jamie B 23 Apr 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I've had some good nights at the Clachaig but it really went down hill when they only started playing the traditional Scottish music for the tourists!

Not the case, the band roster is still a varied one. You must have just have got (un)lucky!

Al Evans 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Caralynh:
> (In reply to kingjam)
>
> Ooh can I add the Marisco Tavern on Lundy? Not sure if it was just the atmosphere there one night a few yrs ago, but it was probably the best post climbing night I've ever had. Packed pub, everyone singing random stuff, Climbingpixie and myself dancing on tables on the balcony to American Pie sung by the whole pub. Leaving with a fez acquired somehow, and chalkprints on my boobs.

I was there, twas a good night, and I've had many others there that were as (well almost) as good
 N.Gibson 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

I'd almost forgoten about that place! Spent many an hour reading the very same magazines!

Was there was a bar called 13 owls too?
In reply to simon cox:

Poco Loco, Chamonix - for burgers and beer, but mostly burgers.
In reply to fairweatherclimber: sport bar Chamonix, Fort William Nevisport "blue" bar, AKA the departure lounge he he!.
 cem 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Pity about the rubbish (and very expensive) beer!
 Peakpdr 23 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: The tree root at the top of a route with a massive runout
 plyometrics 30 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Black Dog in Belmont; before it changed hands and suffered a terrible makeover
 Ciderslider 30 Apr 2013
In reply to thermal_t:
> (In reply to simon cox) The Square and Compass - Swanage

+1 (million) only problem is that they are purveyors of very fine ale and cider and the two don't mix very well.
 Ciderslider 30 Apr 2013
In reply to MikeTS:
> (In reply to sparkass)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
>
> Of course. Scrumpy
> When I climbed there (a long long time ago) they would only sell pints of scrumpy to locals who they knew could hold it. We got halves. And rolled down the hill to our tents.

Couldn't even bloody find mine !

Ciderslider 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
>
> Is it the one in which you're having the most fun?

Or getting the most pissed

Ciderslider 30 Apr 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:
> (In reply to BnB)
> [...]
>
>
> Yes you could argue that. But what kind of people would choose to go to a pub that didn't serve real ale?
>
> I'll stick with the real ale drinkers.

+1
 Ciderslider 30 Apr 2013
In reply to simon cox: What about the Millstone Inn at Hathersage - a really good pint and the foods good and staff friendly.
I shall mostly be drinking in there this weekend (after of course long days on Stanage or Millstone)

Can't wait for a farmers blond or two
 Dave Musgrove 01 May 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Has no one mentioned Glaros Bar in Kaly yet? I'll be there tomorrow, or even tonight if we get the last ferry. Have the Mythos cooling Steve.
 GridNorth 01 May 2013
In reply to Dave Musgrove: Well I wouldn't mention it because Steve is not the most welcoming of hosts infact some might say he's a miserable old git. His wife on the other hand is lovely.
 GrahamD 01 May 2013
In reply to BnB:

Only if you want to socialise with people who don't mind being ripped off for factory produced fizz and you can find something halfway palatable to drink for yourself

To me a pub has to serve good beer otherwise it might just as well be a bus shelter

BnB 01 May 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to BnB)
>
> [...]
>
> Only if you want to socialise with people who don't mind being ripped off for factory produced fizz and you can find something halfway palatable to drink for yourself
>
> To me a pub has to serve good beer otherwise it might just as well be a bus shelter

Personally, I'd rather drink tap water with good friends (or amusing strangers) than sup the finest ale/malt whisky in uninspiring company. I'm sure a night in your company would offer both entertainment and good beer, but, if I have to choose, I'll take the party before the pint any time!!
In reply to Ciderslider:

> +1 (million) only problem is that they are purveyors of very fine ale and cider and the two don't mix very well.

As the landlady of a small pub in Tavistock once explained:

"cider on beer, makes you queer; beer on cider, nothing finer".

We'd been drinking beer, and decided to try the cider. She wouldn't serve it to us...

The Square and Compass was serving a nice mulled cider a few weeks ago. Place was heaving as usual (parents live just down the road, so I'm a regular, if infrequent visitor over the last 27 years...)
 oscaig 02 May 2013
In reply to simon cox:
The Bush in Morwenstow for a few stiffeners after a day gibbering up bits of worryingly insecure culm? Other pubs that aren't really raucous climber bars but are perfect for a cold one after a day on the crag are the Sonachan (great seafood) after bit of Ardnamurchan gabbro, the bar in The Summer Isles for Reiff or Stac Pollaidh and The Flodigarry Country House bar after tip-toeing up Spantastic.

thermal_t 02 May 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
> (In reply to Dave Musgrove) Well I wouldn't mention it because Steve is not the most welcoming of hosts infact some might say he's a miserable old git. His wife on the other hand is lovely.

Ha Ha...I thought that to start with, but he's fine once you break the steely exterior!
 Steve Perry 02 May 2013
In reply to simon cox: The Old Inn at Carbost is good as is The Clachaig, yes its touristy but still enjoyable. I'll also say The Drovers on Loch Lomond side and The Old Dungeon Ghyll in Langdale. I can't stop now, The Sun in Coniston and The Rainbow in Kendal, I'll also say The Tan Hill though that's more hiking I suppose. The Aultguish was good once over and the bar round the back of The Inchnadamph, plus The Kylesku Hotel.
 barbeg 02 May 2013
In reply to simon cox:

Hi Simon,
The Padarn....before it got done out in the '80's
The Clachaig....before it got done out.....
The ODG...before it got done out....
The Vaynol.....guess yersel....
The Kingshouse.....yer get the picture....
The Hill Inn...before etc.....
The Bar Nash....once agin before it was done out...in the days of Maurice and his one-eyed Daughter.....
ANdy
 John2 02 May 2013
In reply to simon cox: I fondly remember the Bar au Vieux Chamounix (correct spelling) over the road from Freyr in Belgium. Twenty odd years ago the owner (since retired) invited my friends and me to sleep in the shed where he kept his beer rather than doss in the woods.

He sold a superb horse steak as well.
 Dave Garnett 02 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
>
> Crossroads in Joshua Tree was in that category but now it has new owners it has lost the magic.

So where would you recommend now Steve? I tend to end up in J Tree on my own on weekend escapes when I'm working in Carlsbad, so a good friendly bar would be worth knowing about.
 oscaig 02 May 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett: Was in the JT Saloon (across from Nomad) a few weeks ago and it was fine (pretty good steaks and burgers - standard bar food stuff) and a cracking range of draft beers including the Miners Milk. Staff friendly but some dodgy karaoke going on though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...