UKC

Rock climbing in Norway?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 18 Apr 2013
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on any rock climbing areas in Norway which they have visited? I am hoping to plan a trip to visit during June and was looking for some recommendations for places to go. Lofoton looks amazing, but tricky to get to. How have other people travelled there?

Many thanks,
Clare
 SGD 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed Userclare erskine: Lofoten is AMAZING! and is worth the hassel of getting there. I was lucky when I went as a friend of mine was already their (she had driven out) so she picked me up. I flew to Oslo and then caught a connecting flight to Narvik with is at the start of the peninsula that becomes the Lofoten islands. I'm pretty sure I could have hired a car at Narvik but this is where I was picked up. The rockFax Lofoten guide (I think there is a free mini guide on RockFax?) has some very useful info on the logistics including travelling by train and flying to Bodo which I believe is on Lofoten itself? If you search on here you are sure to find some more info. Enjoy.
 JayK 18 Apr 2013
 SGD 18 Apr 2013
In reply to SGD:

This is useful

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1819 and it includes loads of other Lofoten links
 d_b 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed Userclare erskine:

Lofoten is great. Miles of immaculate granite by the sea.

Romsdal is awesome for mountaineering type routes. It's famous for the big walls, but there is plenty of smaller stuff as well.

There's a lot of amazing looking stuff around Narvik too, that I haven't visited yet but have been perving at the guidebooks lately. Same goes for parts of southern Norway.

You should definitely go.
 Conan 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed Userclare erskine:

Lofoten is the place to go.
Lots of amazing scenery and climbs of all grades. and length.
Just don't get caught for speeding
6 mph over the limit and we go fined £350

We flew Manchester to Stockholm to Kiruna in northern Sweden and drove from there. Saved about £300 on the hire car and a lot on a car full of food and some beer before driving over the border into Norway.

d_b 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Conan:

And for those in the south, Norwegian fly to Bodø via Oslo and start direct flights to Tromsø this month. Gatwick->Bodø in August appears to be about 120 quid each way. Going by past experience you need to add 15-20 quid for a 20kg bag, but that's still not too bad.
 d_b 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed Userclare erskine: Forgot to mention

There's a good looking guidebook for Kvaløya, near Tromsø. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere in the UK though.
 HeMa 18 Apr 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

These guys will ship it for ya.
http://www.topptur.nu/default.asp?language=2
 Nick Harvey 18 Apr 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: TobyA will be along in a mo to tell us how Kvaløya is better than Lofoten. And much easier to get to.
 d_b 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Nick Harvey:

I reckon it will be a lot easier to reach once Norwegian are flying direct to Tromso, but good luck finding the guidebook anywhere in the UK.

I just flew back from a fortnight in Lyngen, and the 6 hour wait in Oslo was an absolute wounder. Next month and it would have been direct!
 d_b 18 Apr 2013
In reply to HeMa:

I might just order it. Planning to get back there for a summer trip ASAP.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to clare erskine)
>
> There is lots of excellent climbing in Southern Norway - pretty much overlooked by Brits who all head for Lofoten

Perhaps you should write a guide to it Chris!
silo 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:And some Big stuff too!
 Nick Harvey 19 Apr 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: So does it just run in summer or are they starting it up again for year-round? Last winter we went to Senja etc and had to fly via Oslo, but the year before when we went to Lyngen at the same time in Feb/Mar we got direct flights which was much better.
 d_b 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Nick Harvey:

I don't know yet. One of the guys who ran the place I was staying at in Lyngen was telling me about it, and there were posters up all over Tromso airport but I haven't dug out all the details yet.

I'm hopeful though, as they get a lot of foreign ski tourers in winter these days. I would expect the market to be there.
 Dave 19 Apr 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Nick Harvey)
>
> I reckon it will be a lot easier to reach once Norwegian are flying direct to Tromso,

They are, I was recently just checking that. I think it was Wed and Sat from Gatwick, or something like that, at least it wasn't every day.
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...