UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Climbing the Costa Blanca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 18 Apr 2013
Barra abseiling off 'Tai Chi', Olta (Calpe), 3 kbIn this article Tiffany Stoneman briefly recounts a fantastic holiday to Spain.

"With roadside or very short walk-ins, it's a haven for sport climbers in Spain, with a huge range of climbs for every ability. Many climbers spend an entire week only at this crag, staying in the campsite or hostel nearby, and I could instantly see why..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5400

JayK 18 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Don't forget Forada. Sector Super Heroes is one of the best!

Also - Benidorm was awful. Every single street corner had a guy trying to give us leaflets to yet another strip club. So many drunken and tattooed parents stumbling around at 1am with their kids wandering around waiting for them. Oh and don't forget the quality restaurants advertising 1/2 chicken and chips 4.50euro with a pint of vodka coke for 2euro.

Stay somewhere nice and rural (like Orange house in Finestrat - why didn't I stay there??) if you're going.
 maybe_si 19 Apr 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:

Having stayed at both Sella and the Orange House in the past, I thought benidorm was actually a great location, more central for a lot of the crags, better located for Calpe and Gandia etc. Granted its not exactly rural but it made for a great trip, we got a cheap last minute package holiday a few days before we flew as everywhere else was fully booked. I recon we'll probably do the same next time we head out there
 biscuit 19 Apr 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:

I wouldn't call the Orange House rural - but it is very nice and much better than Benidorm :0)

And i'd agree with Forada. I only had half a day there but it's one to go back to.

Can i send my trip report to Morocco in to UKC or will it not get published as there hasn't been a rockfax guide recently printed for the area ? :-p

It's a very nice article but nothing more than an advert to drum up trade for the new guide.
 Simon Caldwell 19 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Excellent article, always good to read about areas that aren't well known yet.
 Sankey 19 Apr 2013
In reply to maybe_si: Calpe is somewhere else to consider staying, is a bit more upmarket than Benidorm (!) has cheap apartments and you can walk along the beach front to the Pennon.
 3leggeddog 19 Apr 2013
In reply to the toffee nosed above:

Remove the pole from your backsides and stay in the 'dorm. There is superb entertainment, good, cheap food and it is handy for all the crags.

The atmosphere when we were there at the beginning of April was superb, a bit like a late 80's rave, every one we met was friendly, having a good time and up for a party without any pretence. Climb all day, party all night. A great place for a middle aged man to release his inner teenager.
 Robert Durran 19 Apr 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> Also - Benidorm was awful.

Yes, the worst thing about the costa Blanca is the actual Costa - sprawling, busy, built up hell. If you want a beach woth your bolt clippiong, there are much better destinations.
 JayK 19 Apr 2013
In reply to 3leggeddog:

That's exactly what I said wasn't it? It's great for British drunken old people....
 mike123 19 Apr 2013
In reply to JimmyKay: chappeau
 3leggeddog 19 Apr 2013
In reply to JimmyKay:

Sir, I salute you.

Next easter, if you like, I will be your guide
In reply to UKC Articles: sounds like we had much the same trip over in majorca at the same time this year stayed in package holiday all inclusive whats a great way to realx no need to cook or shop and all the climbing you need 45 mins max
 Sam Mayfield 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

You really don't know this area very well do you.

I can take you to a dozen beaches that will be empty, amazing scenery a little bit like Northern Ibiza.

Quiet places along the coast to eat and drink and stay away from the high rise building!

But what do I know, I have only lived here for 15 years!

Sam
 Sam Mayfield 19 Apr 2013
In reply to biscuit:

Thanks Biscuit, some people that stay here think we are "very rural" but they have driven here in the dark and not seen the coast etc.

Would like to read your trip report, is it on a blog anywhere?

Regards from a boiling Costa Blanca ;0)

Robert Durran 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Sam Mayfield:
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
>
> You really don't know this area very well do you.

Fair enough. Point taken. I don't know it nearly as well as you. It's just the impression I had got from Calpe/Benidorm and environs. Apologies.
 Sam Mayfield 20 Apr 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Hi Robert

No need to apologise :0)

I am guessing it's the same with most places, good and bad to areas of any town, city, county!

I just get fed up of this place tarred with a scummy brush when we have such amazing quiet, unspoilt places that people can find without too much effort.

I should do a few pages on the website telling everyone about these hidden gems but then they wouldn't be hidden would they! lol

Sam Orange

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...