UKC

cheap chain cleaner at Lidl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lidl are knocking out the Barbieri chain cleaner for £4 again. There was a huge pile of them in my local store.
 DreadyCraig 19 Apr 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
picked one up last night, yet to try it out. Cheap as chips tho'
 nniff 19 Apr 2013

Do they work?

The last Lidl thingy I had was a watch/altimeter) that reset everything including the clock when I took my fleece off. I struggled with modifications until I just gave up and threw it in the bin.
 gethin_allen 19 Apr 2013
They work for a bit then fall to bits, not bad for 4 pound though
In reply to captain paranoia: I think my design is cheaper and miles easier - Take a jam jar (empty) quarter fill it with white spirit, place chain in said jar, replace lid and shake. remove chain, allow to dry, lube and replace on bike. Job done.
 Kimono 19 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
though this means actually removing the chain....which may be a bridge too far for some?
Removed User 19 Apr 2013
In reply to kieran b: The secret is one of these (various other makes of chain have their own version e.g KMC);
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871

Lube well and frequently, wipe off excess, means cleaning with solvents etc needs to be a rare necessity.
In reply to Removed User: Worth quickly mentioning the 10sp powerlocks are a bugger to reuse. The KMC one is much easier to reuse
 woolsack 19 Apr 2013
In reply to captain paranoia: Thanks LIDL, two days after I bought the Park Tools one.

In reply to nniff:

This isn't a Lidl own brand thing; it's a Barbieri cleaner, which you can buy anywhere, for twice the price. Or £10 at CRC, with a claimed rrp of £15.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33179

They're good for clearing mud off MTB chains.

White spirit for cleaning a chain? Fine if you want to strip all the grease out of the thing...
> (In reply to nniff)
>

> White spirit for cleaning a chain? Fine if you want to strip all the grease out of the thing...

That's why you put oil on it afterwards! done it to all my dirty chains without issue for a number of years!
Removed User 22 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Aye a jam jar, solvent and chain with a removable link is the way to go. Takes under about 5 minutes to remove and clean.
 Ridge 22 Apr 2013
Ta for the tip. Already got one, but for that price it's worth it far a spare, and I might see if filling it with lube also makes an easy oiler.
 Jim Hamilton 22 Apr 2013

As a matter of interest, looking at a KMC Chain guide booklet it says "try to avoid a so-called 'chain washing machine' in combination with solvent. This will instantly ruin your chain."
 elsewhere 22 Apr 2013
Is the lubricant that comes with the Lidl cleaner OK or is something else recommended?
 Jim Hamilton 22 Apr 2013

http://www.kmcchain.us/ChainGuidePDFs/ChainGuide_Maintenance.pdf

- use a dry cloth or to remove mud use brush and light soapy water ..

Thanks for the tip - already got one thats been in use for a couple of years, sure I paid 8 or 9 quid off the web. Great bargain at £4.

The big cans of WD40 for £2.50 is good too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...