UKC

ABC watch worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Antigua 19 Apr 2013
The original reason I joined this conference is that I wanted to ask about ABC watches. There doesn't seem to be that much out there in terms of people using them but would like to know how accurate the data they display is and also how often they need to be calibrated to remain useful. Not expecting super accurate but last time I used one the known hight was 153m yet the watch was displaying about 37m. Useless really.
 Beronj 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Antigua:
I have a Casio Protrek (PRG-240) that I really like, but that has more to do with how easy it is to read and use than the ABC functions.

The compass is handy enough if you want to roughly orientate yourself or pick between two clear directions. It does bearings, but I wouldn't use it for serious nav. Nice to have as a backup though. Helped me out more than once when I've been "geographically embarrassed" in the car and need to pick a road at a junction!

Temp gauge is relatively useless unless you take the watch off due to body heat. Barometer works well, but I've never been able to predict much off it.

The alti can be useful, but needs calibrating regularly as UK weather is pretty changeable. So when you reach a known contour or summit you can get the height off a map. I found it handy when we wanted to descend a set height and then leave the path to find a crag.

I've heard something about Casios having known quirks in they way they do Height/Pressure as they use different methods than say, Suunto. So mileage may vary between brands.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...