UKC

Climbing wall prices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrbird 21 Apr 2013
Just wondering the average price of entry to your local climbing wall as Ive had quite afew folk telling me how expensive our own local in Aberdeen is compared to their own. £7.50 for entry and around 15 quid for entry and equipment hire.
 James90 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird:

£7.50 seems fairly normal, about that at alien rock and not as dear as the eica at £9.50 a climb.

although if its £15 including equipment hire thats a fairly hefy equipment fee!
 dutybooty 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: Our best local wall is £7 for all day entry at peak times, £6 for all day entry at non-peak times, and £5 to hire all equipment.

Adam Lincoln 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird:

You shouldn't need to worry about cost, with offshore pay. (noticed your profile pic)
OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Adam Lincoln: aye youre right us North Sea tigers are loaded. Any of you peasants want me to pay for your climbing fees as well?
 Steve nevers 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: A 37.50 entry fee seems about the average, but another £7.50 for gear? One of the walls here gear is £1 for shoe hire, 50p for a harness and belay device/biner is fee to lend.
 Steve nevers 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:
> (In reply to mrbird) A 37.50

£7.50. Bloody typo.
OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: ah ok. Theyve been getting stricter on people coming in as unsupervised climbers as theyve been catching people blagging it saying they know what theyre doing. But if theyre charging 72quid for a learn to climb course I think its quite steep for being taught a skill which people can learn with a club for free...
 Oceanrower 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: Erm, so join a club then!
 john spence 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: High Sports wall in Basildon is £12. annual registration and about £8.00 per session. The place is so small that two hours is long enough. Both auto belays are out of action and bouldering so limited that going on your own is not much of an option.The staff are great and there is a good atmosphere but even the staff (who get free entry) seem to go to the Reach which is about 25 miles away.(Reach is £4. lifetime registration and £8.00 entry. So much to do you could easily spend 12 hours there.Can someone from High Sports justify their prices.
OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Oceanrower: Very good. My you are a clever cookie. Such wit and wisdon. Thank you for your advice. But you should keep it till someone asks for it next time.
 Oceanrower 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: You make a stupid comment on a forum then get annoyed when someone comments back. Maybe you don't understand how the system works so:

1. A climbing wall is a structure. it costs money to design, build and maintain.

2. A climbing wall has staff. These require paying.

3. A climbing wall is a business. It has overheads like insurance, heating, lighting, electricity, etc.

4. A club doesn't.

That is why a climbing wall charges 72 quid to teach you to climb and a club doesn't.

Oh, and if you weren't asking for advice, what was the point of your OP?

OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Oceanrower: I understand they have bills to pay but was just interested in other walls prices because of comments made by other climbers Id met.
 Neil Williams 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird:

Seems pretty typical. Gets a bit more expensive the further south you go, London walls are often over a tenner.

Neil
OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: Cheers. Just wondering...
 gd303uk 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: Scottish climbers moaning about prices, I am saying nothing.
But as said above £7 +. Is not much to pay and seams fair compared to other walls.
 john spence 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Oceanrower:
> (In reply to mrbird) You make a stupid comment on a forum then get annoyed when someone comments back. Maybe you don't understand how the system works so:
> > .
> Oh, and if you weren't asking for advice, what was the point of your OP?

What"stupid comment",
The Op wasn't asking for advice he was asking for a comparison on prices.
 Steve nevers 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird:

If the Walls any good and you think you'd like to be in there a decent amount do they do a monthly package?

One of my local walls a session is £5.50-£8.50 (depending on on/off-peak, cheaper if your using just the bouldering area, more to lead.) but a monthly all-in price is £35. So if i go twice a week i'm pretty much climbing for free for half the month.
OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to gd303uk: haha do you know scots invented copper wire?
OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Steve nevers: It is a good wall and all the staff are great but they only do a 6month or annual package. And if youre out doing winter stuff and hopefully trad during the summer its only when its raining you want to be there and not have to commit to a 6 month or annual contract.
 Steve nevers 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: True, I'm currently 4 months into a 12 month deal.

But I am pretty lucky, as the centre is pretty much next door to my house, its a 4 min walk! so i make up for the weeks i'm away by hitting the centre for a session most days when the weathers crap/i'm being to lazy to bike it somewhere.

My general plan is pop in for at least a half hour of the circuit board most days, kind of helps me get my moneys worth, although there is a pub 2 mins away that seems to be getting more of my time at the moment!
 Oceanrower 21 Apr 2013
In reply to john spence: The stupid comment was along the lines of "why should I pay £72 to learn to climb at a wall when a club will do it for nothing"
OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Oceanrower: incredible. You`re telling us what a post said when we can read it ourselves abit higher up on the screen. If you scroll up and read it again you`ll realise it does not say that.
 Oceanrower 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: Oh dear. Yes, you could have scrolled up. However, John Spence asked what stupid comment and I pointed it out to him. A moments thought should have told you why a wall charges £72 where a club doesn't therefore, in my opinion, it was a stupid comment.

OP mrbird 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Oceanrower: ok lets be friends Xxx
 Oceanrower 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: ok.
 Jonny2vests 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird:

£12 is normal in Vancouver for a fairly average wall. I really miss the foundry sometimes, cheap and amazing.
 Rachel Slater 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: TCA Glasgow is £8 plus £10 membership per year and that's only bouldering!
 Jamie B 21 Apr 2013
In reply to r fizzle:

> TCA Glasgow is £8 plus £10 membership per year and that's only bouldering!

Worth every penny. You can get every bit as thorough a work-out at a bouldering-only centre if it's of the scale and quality of TCA.

Morgan P 21 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: Leeds Wall is £2.50 for students off-peak on mon/wed/fri and the depot is students off peak £5 (6 for non-students).

£2.50 entry fee makes most other walls look expensive, and it's a damn good wall too! Plenty of routes, massive competition overhanging wall and bouldering areas
 Morgan P 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Oceanrower: sorry but £72 for a learn to belay course is absolutely ridiculous! One persons wages for an hour between say 5 learners doesn't come anywhere close to that, even with their contribution to the wall's bills (considering others are contributing £5 entry fee going towards bills for an entire evening of climbing vs the learners 1 hour).

All the places I know do it for under a tenner, most do it for a fiver or completely free.
 Morgan P 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Morgan P: ignore "or completely free" I was thinking of a belay test not a belay lesson for the free ones
 Oceanrower 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Morgan P: And where can you find a learn to CLIMB course that takes one hour?

A quick search through half a dozen of the best known walls shows that 2 evenings seems to be about average.
 UKC Forums 22 Apr 2013
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Walls & Training - Find out where the best climbing wall is in your area. Who goes there? What are the facilities like? Build your own cellar. Training tips and injuries info. It's all here. (And don't forget to check the Classified Listings which contain the UK's most comprehensive online database of climbing walls.)

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Steve nevers 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
> (In reply to r fizzle)
>
> [...]
>
> Worth every penny. You can get every bit as thorough a work-out at a bouldering-only centre if it's of the scale and quality of TCA.

TCA Bristol is the same prices.

Although its not that expensive for the amount of problems, graded circuits & circuit boards they have in there in the evenings its hard to get a third of what you'd get done in the afternoon because the place gets so bloody RAMMED. Almost like the common practice seems to be strength in numbers, mob a route and surround it! haha

Would maybe make more sense if they flipped their rates around, i.e £6.50 in the evenings and £8 in the day. Its a great place but a 4 hour session there the other night I could only get in 1.5-2 hours of actual bouldering in due to the 6 person long queues on every problem!

lazzaw 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:
> Would maybe make more sense if they flipped their rates around, i.e £6.50 in the evenings and £8 in the day.

Business economics would suggest that charging the most when lots of people are willing to pay it would be more sensible!

Have your tried weekend mornings? Sometimes it is busy (probably what you would class as a quiet evening) but I have been there with barely half a dozen people at times. You may have to watch out for my children arseing around when my back is turned though. After 2 hours when you can climb pretty much continually I can barely walk!
 machine 27 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird:
Get yourself down to Sunderland Wall. its only 5 quid on a Wednesday, £6.50 any other day. The staff are great, and so are the facilities, they have a 23meter lead wall fantastic bouldering, what more could you ask for.
 jonathandavey 28 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: £5.50 at Rochdale, no membership fee. Gear hire is £1, for that you get everything. Not bad imho!
Thevshowroom in lincoln is £6.50 for a session which i think is fine. Plenty of slab, vertical, a small amount of 'rock', overhang and 4 autobelays. Decent value
 cb_6 29 Apr 2013
In reply to mrbird: £10 is the average around London, it was more like £7 when I was living closer to the midlands. Personally I pay £42 for unlimited use at my local wall which is a bargain since at the moment I'm trying to climb three times a week and it will often be at that particular wall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...